Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rejuvenate Carpet- Spray Paint; Painting Carpet- Pros & Cons?
Topic Started: Mar 20 2017, 12:12 PM (123 Views)
Doodlebug
[ *  * ]
Geo Metro Convertible1993

Carpets are very tired looking, sun-faded, brittle, etc., and I saw some people on YouTube painting car carpets to make them look new.

Has anybody tried this on a geo? Any comments, suggestions, horrible results? Success stories?

Also, instead of masking off car trim, I saw some were spraying trim with armorall, and that would allow the paint to be wiped off without masking. That sounds dubious at best to me. Has anybody tried that technique.

Any other ideas to spruce up the carpet?

Thanks for advice, etc.

Bill. Doodlebug.
Edited by Doodlebug, Mar 20 2017, 12:13 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
"Chicks dig me and guys think I'm cool."

If the carpet has no holes or rips, it would be worth the time to remove the seats and interior trim to remove the carpet, take it to a car wash or use a powerwasher, and spray it down to get all of the dirt and grime out. Let it dry in direct sun for an entire day, top and bottom. If the foam padding underneath is shot, then remove it all, and go to Home Depot and get carpet foam and spray glue it in place.

Or, you can go to eBay and order new carpet for only $150 with free shipping. You'll need to cut the holes for the shifter and ebrake and trim off excess from the sides, but it's worth it. I've done it a few times and it's night and day.

But PAINT?? Meh.

eBay convertible carpet

monzanut
Member Avatar
Drip under Pressure

I have used dye or paint on my carpet before, dye looks better but can be more expensive. The paint is tricky to get the right application on without coating too much which makes the carpet fibers very stiff. I use something like this paint
http://www.colorbondpaint.com/collections/car-interior-paint-carpet-paint/products/carpet-refinisher .

I use this on trim and tires, works the same as masking tape and washes off.
http://www.colorbondpaint.com/collections/car-interior-paint-carpet-paint/products/carpet-refinisher

monzanut
Member Avatar
Drip under Pressure

GeoStalker
Mar 20 2017, 02:56 PM
Or, you can go to eBay and order new carpet for only $150 with free shipping.

This :+1

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Body/Chassis/Interior · Next Topic »
Add Reply