Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Blown head gasket?
Topic Started: Mar 20 2017, 01:36 PM (73 Views)
jlyons
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I'm getting lots of white smoke at idle that smells like coolant, first thought is a blown head gasket. I'm wondering if it could be anything else, no water in the oil and no bubbles in the radiator. Am I missing anything ?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

monzanut
Member Avatar
Drip under Pressure

Pressure testing your coolant system will show if you got a leaky head gasket on the coolant side. Oil film at radiator cap another clue; crack your oil drain plug part way and if anti-freeze comes out, another good sign (oil floats on water).

monzanut
Member Avatar
Drip under Pressure

Head gasket will blow between cylinders for loss of compression, between oil passage and cylinder burning oil and pressurizing the crankcase, between coolant passage and cylinder causing the white smoke, or between coolant and oil passage. That's all the different ways I've seen, all of which suck, lol.

jlyons
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Monzanut ! I know what I'm doing this weekend :scoobs

cwatkin

Another simple test ALTHOUGH IT MIGHT NOT APPLY IN THIS SITUATION...... Start the engine cold with the radiator cap off. Do you see bubbles like air coming out or just fluid movement?

Does anything else seem out of place? Any recent overheating events? Are you losing coolant? Does the oil look milky? Do you have a miss on any cylinder? Remove the spark plugs. Does one look SUPER CLEAN compared to the rest? Has anything changed since this happened? White smoke and a coolant smell are usually signs of a blown head gasket or worse.

Conor

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply