Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New member.. another VERY rotted Metro being raised from the dead; Huge restomod project; both horns GONE, rockers, floors, and everywhere else too.
Topic Started: Apr 5 2017, 10:15 PM (4,866 Views)
Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
This is my very first restoration project, as well as the RUSTIEST 1994 metro I have ever seen. I bought the car last October for $275 in hope of a cheap, fuel efficient car. It has the 3/5. As it sat, the frame looked REALLY rusty, but intact. Fixable to the average Joe, right? As soon as we moved it to load it onto the trailer, the drivers side front tire rolled back and crunched the lower fender leaving a three inch tall, 12-inch diameter pile of rust. In other words, the frame is broken off completely :die Unfortunately, I'd already paid the guy :doh . As I got it home, I reckoned I've bit off more than I can chew. BOTH front horns were completely deteriorated with the drivers side horn hanging, literally, on by a thread. Rockers were gone, floors were gone, rear control arm mounts were gone, as well as the entire lower firewall. I was shocked that the car didn't fold in half on me. Now, with it being April, I have the floors completely done as well as the passenger side rear control arm mount. I hope somebody takes the time to look through this and gets inspiration/motivation to save their Metro, whichever version you have. :cheers I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
Edited by Count Metrola, Apr 5 2017, 10:18 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

geometromaniac

I had a Metro up north in Ct. It was used in the winter what a mistake. The front horns rusted bad as did the rear control are mountings. A Metro that bad is not worth saving for the safety issues. A competent welder will not fix the front horns on a Metro due to liability issues it is just not safe. Please go find one that is a lot less rusted you will be a lot happier and safer.

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
I lied. I'll post some now!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is the driver's side floor pan. I think its 18 or 16 gauge steel that I welded it out of. It's thicker than the original pan.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 1.jpg (86.73 KB)
Attachments: 2.jpg (73.66 KB)
Attachments: 3.jpg (72.25 KB)
Attachments: 4.jpg (77.06 KB)
Attachments: 5.jpg (74.88 KB)
Edited by Count Metrola, Dec 3 2017, 05:58 PM.

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
geometromaniac, I would be a lot happier with a cleaner metro. But, I believe the way I am fixing my car will yield it a lot safer than the original. I will reveal it later in the future. I appreciate your concern. :cheers

1993XFI

ambitious project you have going on. Just make sure the car is safe to drive. Work looks good. I understand about putting money and time into a Metro that isn't worth a whole lot. You do it because you can do it. I do have some extra parts if you might need something. Not that far from you.

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Oh cool thanks! Yeah I am pleased with it minus the :shit flux core welds. Despite that, the floors are incredibly strong. I like the mentality that anything can be restored. Part of my ambition for this project is the face that I have seen cars that were literally folding in half restored to perfection. Also, the car only has 50,000 original miles on it. The engine and trans is cleeean. Not metro's specifically, but older cars. I plan on recreating the front horns with thick-wall 2.25" box tubing and quarter inch plate with 3" C-channel running along the floors to recreate the factory C-channel. Stay tuned! More pictures will be uploaded shortly.
Edited by Count Metrola, Apr 6 2017, 07:48 AM.

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Passenger side floor

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I bent this dropped section of the floor with a bench vice and a sledge. Don't have a brake. Not straight, but it does the job.
Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 7.jpg (62.64 KB)
Attachments: 8.jpg (71.19 KB)
Attachments: 9.jpg (156.17 KB)
Attachments: 10.jpg (66.03 KB)
Edited by Count Metrola, Dec 3 2017, 06:07 PM.

smysmbrg
SteveO

You win the award for fixing the rustiest metro ever. Cant belive the seller didnt give you some money back when the wheels fell off. You must be planning something pretty radical structure wise, guessing off the pics the front and rear suspension frame parts will need replacing.

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Ohhhhh yeah. Look up at one of my replies. I stated what I want to build the frame horns out of.

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Rear control arm mount. Passenger side. Literally held on solely by the inner bolt. Inner rocker panel was gone too.
Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 11.jpg (197.34 KB)
Edited by Count Metrola, Dec 3 2017, 06:09 PM.

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Making the first mounting plate.
Posted Image

First radius plate.
Posted Image

Bending the rear radius plate.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rear plate.
Posted Image

Rocker panel reinforcements. 14 gauge first then 1/8th inch on the outer.
Posted Image http://b2.ifrm.com/165/2/0/p712712/19.jpg

Mount to rocker structure. Spot welded then burned all the way around.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And voila :rocker ! I'm gonna do the other side just the same because its flaky on the inside. I want this baby to last.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: 12.jpg (179.61 KB)
Attachments: 13.jpg (198.88 KB)
Attachments: 14.jpg (199.2 KB)
Attachments: 15.jpg (194.48 KB)
Attachments: 16.jpg (183.99 KB)
Attachments: 17.jpg (181.48 KB)
Attachments: 18.jpg (188.67 KB)
Attachments: 19.jpg (178.51 KB)
Attachments: 20.jpg (188.88 KB)
Attachments: 20a.jpg (180.28 KB)
Attachments: 20b.jpg (199.09 KB)
Attachments: 21.jpg (159.74 KB)
Edited by Count Metrola, Dec 3 2017, 06:29 PM.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

I gave up on rusty rides. Kudos for what you are trying to do.

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
"Chicks dig me and guys think I'm cool."

WOW! I've undertaken some rusty rides in the past, but I, too, have given up on doing that again. There are many rust free rides still available in the southern, western, southwestern, and northwestern quadrants of the U.S. where it would almost be worth buying online and paying the freight to ship it to you.

As for your project, good luck, and I hope you can get some miles out of it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Johnny Mullet
Apr 6 2017, 11:02 AM
I gave up on rusty rides. Kudos for what you are trying to do.
Thank you! There's always potential. I mean what car can you buy that gets 50mpg? I stole mine for $275 and I sourced all of the metal from school for free so it was a win-win for me. I have the welder and the fabrication skills to do it so why not? :)
Edited by Count Metrola, Apr 6 2017, 09:50 PM.

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
GeoStalker
Apr 6 2017, 12:24 PM
WOW! I've undertaken some rusty rides in the past, but I, too, have given up on doing that again. There are many rust free rides still available in the southern, western, southwestern, and northwestern quadrants of the U.S. where it would almost be worth buying online and paying the freight to ship it to you.

As for your project, good luck, and I hope you can get some miles out of it.
I do too! Since the car only has 55,000 original miles on it I hope i can get at least another 150k to 200k especially since I am getting rid of the sheet metal frame horns. I plan on using a bar and chain oil concoction inside of my beefed-up horn to prevent rust. It'll take a long while to rust out 1/4 inch plate! :lol

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Body/Chassis/Interior · Next Topic »
Add Reply