Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New member.. another VERY rotted Metro being raised from the dead; Huge restomod project; both horns GONE, rockers, floors, and everywhere else too.
Topic Started: Apr 5 2017, 10:15 PM (4,855 Views)
nwgeo

Swifterthanu
Feb 13 2018, 02:46 PM
nwgeo
Apr 9 2017, 01:08 AM
They are trying to push salt for road treatment up in the Northwest USA...
Don't know where you're at but I'm glad the Salmon and Indians have stopped that in our PNW.
East WA state... nope the fish and Indians are not stopping it, in the snowy areas of East Wa, it is on most of the big store parking areas.

You can thank slip and fall and sue and the attorneys for the start of ruining cars in the PNW snow areas.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Swifterthanu
Member Avatar
Teamswift troller

nwgeo
Feb 13 2018, 04:25 PM
East WA state... it is on most of the big store parking areas.

You must be far away from the Columbia because it is illegal to use here in Eastern WA by law. The big store parking lots are private property. I know here in the Tri-Cities that the municipalities have a brine solution that has been approved by the DOT and the Indians for use on the roads. This and sand are the only things that go on the roads here when it snows.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Swifterthanu
Feb 16 2018, 12:07 AM
nwgeo
Feb 13 2018, 04:25 PM
East WA state... it is on most of the big store parking areas.

You must be far away from the Columbia because it is illegal to use here in Eastern WA by law. The big store parking lots are private property. I know here in the Tri-Cities that the municipalities have a brine solution that has been approved by the DOT and the Indians for use on the roads. This and sand are the only things that go on the roads here when it snows.
Uh.. isn't brine even worse that salt?

Quote:

In most states, brine is a mix of rock salt (sodium chloride) and magnesium chloride, dissolved in water so they can be sprayed on the road. “That’s a very important point, because magnesium chloride is much more corrosive than sodium chloride, the rock salt,” said Bob Baboian, an auto industry consultant and a fellow at the National Association of Corrosion Engineers.

Snertsky
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm wondering what the curb weight of this car is going to be after all this steel that's been welded on. This is impressive work. I bet it's more fun for us to watch than it is for you to do, but please don't take that away from us. This is good entertainment :thumb

Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Im not sure but why wouldnt you put in galvanized steel? you need proper air mask though but it will be much more rust proof in the future.

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Believe me, the car will get done. My work schedule is absolutely crazy and the weather around these parts has been so consecutively horrid I haven't been able to work on the car. Welders don't function very well in the cold and I especially don't want to chance it seeing as I am welding vital suspension components. Although, today is supposed to be beautiful so hopefully I can get the car closer to being back on all four wheels. Thank you guys so much for all of the support and encouragement. I've had my contemplations... and hammers in my hand, but I surpassed those thoughts and continued fabricating. This car will be completed one day, I promise; unless something goes irrevertably wrong. As always, stay tuned, folks. I'm terribly sorry about the wait
Edited by Count Metrola, Feb 24 2018, 06:18 AM.

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Swift-guy
Feb 16 2018, 03:18 PM
Im not sure but why wouldnt you put in galvanized steel? you need proper air mask though but it will be much more rust proof in the future.
Yes, I agree. But, I would have to grind off the galvanising in order to lay weld properly which, in some areas, is on both sides. It would be in a much smaller location though. I never really thought about using galvanized, honestly. :cheers

pdqrunner

Wait until you see the faces on the guy in the shop that do the front end alignment. They are amazed that people will go to such great lengths to fix these cars. When I did my 96 they announced over the PA the metro has arrived.
Also that beet juice/ brine sticks to the car and plays havaik on you electrical connectors.

MPG

Keep pressing on my Metro friend When finished it'll be worth all your effort :thumb

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Well as of yesterday the lower firewall is completely rebuilt. I have both square tubes done for my custom frame horns, and the c-channel is tacked onto the floors. I have a few spots to patch up front still, but it is so close to being back on four wheels. I ended up ordering new rocker panels too, so those will be getting installed. I'm really excited! It's getting close!

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Finally got a good day to work on the car on my weekend off. The upper frame behind the fender on the drivers side is completely done. The drivers side frame horn is completely done, welded, and welds reinforced by plating over the butt joints. I am also almost done with the passenger side steering rack mount. Furthermore, I got a bunch of little holes patched up front. This project is nearing completion and I can't wait to finally get behind the wheel of it. Since it's been too cold to weld, I started getting the engine ready too. I installed a new water pump, timing belt and idler, rear main seal, and a full tune up kit. I forgot to get a picture, but wow. The water jackets are PRISTINE. I really believe it has 50k original miles. It's unfortunate the nimrod left it sit outside for so long though. It may not have faired this bad. In any case, the project WILL be completed. As always, stay tuned for more. :cheers

I'll get the pictures uploaded later today.
Edited by Count Metrola, Apr 22 2018, 06:55 AM.

Horn

Holy crap! Good work. Idk if you are crazy or smart to take on this project, but it seems you are having fun and learning.

Swifterthanu
Member Avatar
Teamswift troller

Uh.. isn't brine even worse that salt?

Quote:

In most states, brine is a mix of rock salt (sodium chloride) and magnesium chloride, dissolved in water so they can be sprayed on the road. “That’s a very important point, because magnesium chloride is much more corrosive than sodium chloride, the rock salt,” said Bob Baboian, an auto industry consultant and a fellow at the National Association of Corrosion Engineers.

SuzukiTom you are correct. I can't see how this is getting past the Indians. So I wonder how they will justify this since the big money talk that stops every major road project is the almighty Salmon. I guess the citizenry will have to take the first step and do a class action against the state for theft without reimbursement.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Regions/Eastern/Winter/
Edited by Swifterthanu, Apr 23 2018, 11:37 AM.

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Horn
Apr 22 2018, 06:42 PM
Holy crap! Good work. Idk if you are crazy or smart to take on this project, but it seems you are having fun and learning.
I wouldn't necessarily deem it "fun" 100% of the time, but it is extraordinarily enriching to see something that was completely non-existant before, constructed into a (hopefully) operational structure such as my frame horns. Once I finish the steering rack mount, I should be able to drop it back down on four wheels. There's a lot left to do yet, but there's substantially less to do than when I acquired the car. I really didn't want it to take this long, but several things procured and took precedence over the car. It's getting there though, and I'm learning quite a bit. :cheers

Count Metrola
[ *  *  * ]
Well fellas, yesterday was a very exciting moment in my ownership of the Rustro. It is currently sitting on its very own suspension for the first time in forever! The firewall, steering rack mounts, frame horns, and the drivers side wheel arch and strut tower area is complete. I have two small spots left behind the passenger side fender to finish but they're minute and won't take long because that area isn't as rusty as the other side was. That's about it for the front end. I have a few more plates to make for the drv. side rear a-arm mount but that'll be done when I install the rocker panels. After that, it's plug and play reassembly! I am really excited. I will try to get some pictures uploaded later.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_20180506_081810.jpg (79.21 KB)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Body/Chassis/Interior · Next Topic »
Add Reply