Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Is my engine shaking too much? Video Attached
Topic Started: Apr 17 2017, 05:39 PM (349 Views)
MIGHTYMETRO
Member Avatar
Its not pretty but at least it runs
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hi,

It seems like my engine is shaking to much and also im getting a squeal after its gets warmed up.

https://goo.gl/photos/rn8Ltyu8cEWXKi61A

There is a video to hear the squeal and see the shake
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
"Chicks dig me and guys think I'm cool."

When was the last time you replaced the alternator belt and a/c compressor belt? You're probably running A/C quite a bit out there, I would think. A cheaper belt gets a bit heated, then expands just a tad, especially when you're having cooler nights and hotter days out there.

In terms of the engine shake, it's hard to tell, but have you ever changed out the motor mounts?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nineoneandblue
Member Avatar

Is that video at idle?..... It seems pretty high.

MIGHTYMETRO
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
GeoStalker
Apr 17 2017, 06:16 PM
When was the last time you replaced the alternator belt and a/c compressor belt? You're probably running A/C quite a bit out there, I would think. A cheaper belt gets a bit heated, then expands just a tad, especially when you're having cooler nights and hotter days out there.

In terms of the engine shake, it's hard to tell, but have you ever changed out the motor mounts?
Brand new gator-back belts,never changed the mounts

MIGHTYMETRO
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
nineoneandblue
Apr 17 2017, 06:58 PM
Is that video at idle?..... It seems pretty high.
AC is on so i think it idles at 1k

Woodie
Member Avatar

Squeal after it warms up is strange, they usually squeal until they warm up. Do you get the squeal with the A/C off? If so, then your alternator belt is loose, they have to be incredibly tight.

That much shake at such a high idle seems like a dead cylinder to me. Try pulling off plug wires. If one of them doesn't cause a huge drop in the idle speed, then that cylinder is not working.

MIGHTYMETRO
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Woodie
Apr 18 2017, 07:35 AM
Squeal after it warms up is strange, they usually squeal until they warm up. Do you get the squeal with the A/C off? If so, then your alternator belt is loose, they have to be incredibly tight.

That much shake at such a high idle seems like a dead cylinder to me. Try pulling off plug wires. If one of them doesn't cause a huge drop in the idle speed, then that cylinder is not working.
It's been that kind of shake for 30k miles,I still get 41 mpg,not sure if mpg drop would happen if there's a dead cylinder.i was thinking maybe the squeal was happening cause the engine shook too much,the squeal goes away when I turn of ac but later comes back I believe,I'll test that when I get home. I remember using a prybar to make the alternator belt tight.

natealt
[ *  * ]
Hey MIGHTYMETRO did you ever find out what the shaking issue was? My car has similar symptoms

MIGHTYMETRO
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Nah,any other suggestions? Probably mounts but which one...how can i determine that?

freegeo
Member Avatar

MIGHTYMETRO
Apr 20 2017, 12:12 AM
Nah,any other suggestions? Probably mounts but which one...how can i determine that?
Replace them.

MIGHTYMETRO
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
freegeo
Apr 20 2017, 12:40 AM
MIGHTYMETRO
Apr 20 2017, 12:12 AM
Replace them.
All of them?
Kinda Tight on money,also got to replace exhaust since its splitting in half.

MIGHTYMETRO
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Also want to point out that there is only one bolt in the front right mount(see video) is that normal? There's only one screw hole.

freegeo
Member Avatar

MIGHTYMETRO
Apr 20 2017, 12:58 AM
Also want to point out that there is only one bolt in the front right mount(see video) is that normal? There's only one screw hole.
That is not normal. There should be 2 bolts in that mount.

MIGHTYMETRO
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
https://goo.gl/photos/v93cTdF6m8TFoLyL7

Here is a better shot of the mount...i cleaned it up and i think its a broken stud,There has never been a bolt there the whole 50k miles ive owned it(Its almost got 200k). How to go about this?

1DCGUY
Member Avatar
Don't be a "Richard"

MIGHTYMETRO
Apr 20 2017, 05:54 PM
https://goo.gl/photos/v93cTdF6m8TFoLyL7

Here is a better shot of the mount...i cleaned it up and i think its a broken stud,There has never been a bolt there the whole 50k miles ive owned it(Its almost got 200k). How to go about this?
There should definitely be a bolt there.
See if you can get the broken stud out, and replace it with another bolt.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply