Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2001 1.3 Automatic sucks ATF & exhausts blue smoke
Topic Started: Aug 12 2017, 06:04 PM (129 Views)
Old Dog
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
I have looked repeatedly for a modulator canister or a vacuum line that would draw ATF ultimately into the combustion chambers, but I am striking out. Does anyone have a clue for me as to what and where I should be looking to solve this ATF consumption and exhaust smoke problem? :banghead
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

geogonfa
Member Avatar

First off...Welcome to the Fun... :greet
Sorry but there is no way for the ATF to enter the engine...there is no modulator or vacuum lines...there are only a few places they leak; hoses, TV cable, axle seals, speed sensor, oil pan...there is a possibility it's leaking into the coolant if the radiator trans cooler went bad...if your blowing smoke out the exhaust then you have to look for engine problems...Just my .02...the 1.3l 16v SOHC has issues with the valve guide seals getting hard and oil dripping into the combustion chamber... :type
Edited by geogonfa, Aug 12 2017, 07:52 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Old Dog
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Thank you for the welcome to the club. I have actually been participating in "Metro Mania" for quite some time and have recently received my 10 year pin with the little freak, so we have many less than exciting stories in our past.
I really appreciate your insight on the lack of a transmission modulator or any other vacuum attachment to the automatic transmission, which on diaphragm failure would probably cause sucking of the ATF. So fooey! I have been barking up the wrong tree and there went my easy fix.
I now know my actual mission and will set to work on the diagnosis.
Many thanks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply