Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Correct toe in on 97 metro?; Correct toe in?
Topic Started: Aug 25 2017, 10:45 PM (945 Views)
tribrid
Member Avatar
Metromerized

Just got all new front end parts installed and took out for short test drive and car barely steers. Looked at wheels in dark and could tell one was really off. Going to try the string alignment method to get to an alignment shop, should I adjust a tiny amount of toe in or just get front wheels straight? Thanks in advance!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JellyBeanDriver

tribrid
Aug 25 2017, 10:45 PM
Just got all new front end parts installed and took out for short test drive and car barely steers. Looked at wheels in dark and could tell one was really off. Going to try the string alignment method to get to an alignment shop, should I adjust a tiny amount of toe in or just get front wheels straight? Thanks in advance!
I stripe both front tires, and with full weight measure the front and rear of the front tires and shoot for about 1/16" of toe in.

tribrid
Member Avatar
Metromerized

Set toe out in driveway and now it steers like it should! Thanks jellybean driver for the help!

JellyBeanDriver

tribrid
Aug 26 2017, 01:24 PM
Set toe out in driveway and now it steers like it should! Thanks jellybean driver for the help!
No problem! Got over 100K out of my last tires with this method.
Have done this on many cars with very good results.

Brandon8791
Tryn Hard!!

I seem to need to get my car aligned every 6 months to a year but I drive around 40k a year... so what's a good way to do your method jellybean? I have watched someone do it a time or two on mine and still havnt learned, so maybe you could give me a tutorial or something and maybe it could be a pinned topic for the forums or something. I have 100k hankook optimo h727 on 14inch OZ Racing rims. Idk if that makes a difference. They have about 30k on them and they might make it around 80k or so but I figured they would last their full 100k but it may not be aligned like you do it

JellyBeanDriver

Brandon8791
Sep 13 2017, 03:06 AM
I seem to need to get my car aligned every 6 months to a year but I drive around 40k a year... so what's a good way to do your method jellybean? I have watched someone do it a time or two on mine and still havnt learned, so maybe you could give me a tutorial or something and maybe it could be a pinned topic for the forums or something. I have 100k hankook optimo h727 on 14inch OZ Racing rims. Idk if that makes a difference. They have about 30k on them and they might make it around 80k or so but I figured they would last their full 100k but it may not be aligned like you do it
Brandon, if they're wearing straight across, your alignment is fine. The Michelin X-radials I bought were the only tire I ever got full life (actually more than full life) out of. Should not need to set alignment ever 6 months or even a year. I adjusted mine when I replaced suspension parts but that's it.

Will write up something in the near future.

Brandon8791
Tryn Hard!!

Awesome! I know that I have a very bumpy road I sometimes traveled, and it stayed in alignment decently til started going down it for work. Maybe something or worn I'm not sure. I know I've replaced wheel bearing, ball joints, but that's about it and had it aligned (eyeballing it from my friends dad) and they have worn decently but slowly getting back out of alignment and then theres a dreaded pothole that I hit by mistake (try to avoid those at all cost lol. I know it has knew axle seals but I havnt replaced the axles but there is a rattling but it's been there for awhile figured it's either a bushing or the axle going bad but it hasn't gotten worse in I'd day atleast a year or longer.

Brandon8791
Tryn Hard!!

Jellybeandriver, update... apparently according to a mechanic he said my tie rod needs replaced before I do an alignment otherwise it'll be pointless... so guess that's why my car came out of alignment lol

If you still wanted to post on how to do an alignment that would save me $69 lol thanks!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Suspension/Steering/Alignment · Next Topic »
Add Reply