Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
WANTED: Very Long Shot--Pristine Vert Door Glass
Topic Started: Oct 4 2017, 07:25 PM (848 Views)
bbowens
Member Avatar

Anyone? My 91 convertible restoration project is coming along nicely, but now that I'm rebuilding the doors, I've found that both my door windows are pretty scratched up, and only the passenger side is available new. So, my priority is to find a really pristine drivers side, but I'd take both sides B-)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

the felt pads that act as rub strips were pretty bad about catching dirt and the grit ran up vertical scratches on almost every vert door window i have ever come across.

24 years of abrasion has marked most vert door windows. :whistle

bbowens
Member Avatar

t3ragtop
Oct 4 2017, 07:32 PM
the felt pads that act as rub strips were pretty bad about catching dirt and the grit ran up vertical scratches on almost every vert door window i have ever come across.

24 years of abrasion has marked most vert door windows. :whistle
yeah :shake

nwgeo

I may have a pair in decent shape available... will check tonight.

bbowens
Member Avatar

nwgeo
Oct 5 2017, 12:13 PM
I may have a pair in decent shape available... will check tonight.
hope!

Hotrodray1
Member Avatar
Over Educated parts guy

If you don't find what you need closer to you let me know I have 2 complete vert doors with glass that are in great shape that I bought from T3 a few years back. I could send the one you need. But shipping would be killer from me to you.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bbowens
Member Avatar

Hotrodray1
Oct 5 2017, 04:57 PM
If you don't find what you need closer to you let me know I have 2 complete vert doors with glass that are in great shape that I bought from T3 a few years back. I could send the one you need. But shipping would be killer from me to you.
You're in SC, Ray? and are they pristine-pristine? I figured $50 for shipping across country (not including packing materials). If they are super clean, free of scratches, how much would you want? Maybe PM me...
Edited by bbowens, Oct 5 2017, 05:27 PM.

Hotrodray1
Member Avatar
Over Educated parts guy

I will look this week end and check all 4 sets of doors I have 3 parts cars and another set of doors and make sure how good they are and get you some pictures!

bbowens
Member Avatar

well, good glass is not to be found, at least for my timeline. I'm going to have my glass restored by these guys: https://southbayclearvue.com. They were referred to me by this company: https://glassrenu.com

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

the glassrenu sounds like a good choice....
I've had reasonable success using a ceramic/quartz powder to polish wiper arm scratches out of a windshield. Very time consuming and not perfect ... it actually reshaped my glass to give it minor distortion.

1993XFI

Can the side glass be out of the car and shipped to them to remove the scratches? Or do they have to have the car at there shop? There is no franchise's any where near me.

bbowens
Member Avatar

1993XFI
Oct 8 2017, 07:32 PM
Can the side glass be out of the car and shipped to them to remove the scratches? Or do they have to have the car at there shop? There is no franchise's any where near me.
out of the car, for sure. Until I found the place near me, I had backup plans to ship the glass to one of two places (CO or FL)(this is the place in Florida http://www.glassrestorationinc.com). All the estimates are similar, around $200 per glass, not including shipping. Also, for some reason, they can't do more than polish on the inside, something to due with the concave curvature. Also, I would be sure to use a service that specifically does car glass, because of the curvature.
Edited by bbowens, Oct 8 2017, 09:49 PM.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

I will check on Tuesday, with a local glass shop where I bought a new driver side one about 5 years ago to see where they bought it from. It was not a OEM supplier.

1993XFI

How important are the felt pads? Can they just be taken off and not used? Are the felt pads available?

Crvett69

you can still get new pass side windows from glassrack.com but drivers side window does not seem to be available new from anyone

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Body/Chassis/Interior · Next Topic »
Add Reply