Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
good radiator outcome; lifetime warranty
Topic Started: Oct 10 2017, 09:59 AM (206 Views)
redpepe

this is just a good note. a little over a year ago i replaced my radiator. i chose the spectrum cu1182 again and got it from auto zone. it fits well and the 2 row system works well here in so cal. when i installed it i later noticed a very very slow drip at the drain cock. i figured i'd put a new o-ring in if i ever had to drain the radiator. never did. the drip got somewhat faster over the year and i finally looked closely and there was a tiny leak at the soldered joint of the lower hose connection. it had a 'lifetime warranty' and sure enough i walked into auto zone sunday and had a new one installed on monday. i'm often skeptical of such lifetime warranties but this one lived up to the claim .... no questions. very pleased.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dystopiate666
Member Avatar

I haven't had too much trouble getting my lifetime warranty straight from the retailer hardly ever, it is one thing they will have over online sales for a long time.....

I ran into problems when I would buy things online from random distributors..."you have to take it to the retailer you bought it from" says the manufacturer (Warn Hubs)...."because it was purchased online you need to contact the manufacturer" says the retailer.....

That is why I pay the few extra bucks and buy stuff through amazon now, they never give static about warranty issues....

Also, those of you that drive a 4x4 too....buy Mile Marker hubs.....F*** Warn

MarkZ28

Warn used to be one of the best, never had any trouble with them. Probably sourced Chinese made parts to make them, or may even be made all in China now.

Scoobs
Member Avatar
:D

Dystopiate666
Oct 10 2017, 11:43 AM
I haven't had too much trouble getting my lifetime warranty straight from the retailer hardly ever, it is one thing they will have over online sales for a long time.....

I ran into problems when I would buy things online from random distributors..."you have to take it to the retailer you bought it from" says the manufacturer (Warn Hubs)...."because it was purchased online you need to contact the manufacturer" says the retailer.....

That is why I pay the few extra bucks and buy stuff through amazon now, they never give static about warranty issues....

Out of all of the manual locking hubs ive sold over the last 5 years working at Oreillys, ive sold mostly about 90% of them have been mile markers. While ive never seen one come back from being worn out from expected use, ive seen several break from misuse and abuse.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JellyBeanDriver

redpepe
Oct 10 2017, 09:59 AM
this is just a good note. a little over a year ago i replaced my radiator. i chose the spectrum cu1182 again and got it from auto zone. it fits well and the 2 row system works well here in so cal. when i installed it i later noticed a very very slow drip at the drain cock. i figured i'd put a new o-ring in if i ever had to drain the radiator. never did. the drip got somewhat faster over the year and i finally looked closely and there was a tiny leak at the soldered joint of the lower hose connection. it had a 'lifetime warranty' and sure enough i walked into auto zone sunday and had a new one installed on monday. i'm often skeptical of such lifetime warranties but this one lived up to the claim .... no questions. very pleased.
Similar story for me. I used to buy them from Rock Auto, or Radiator Barn but after needing one every 1.5-2 years due to my commute along the beach front rotting out the fins I bought mine from Autozone. Already used the lifetime warranty once for the same reason as you - weeping from the lower water outlet solder joint. I cleaned and resoldered it a few times, even completely removed the outlet to clean it and even still eventually it would leak again - finally decided to just replace it. Same for a water pump.

Oh, just remembered I've used the radiator warranty once on the wife's PT Cruiser too.

redpepe

i was tempted to resolder too. thx for the report.

i've always been doubtful of the 'ocean air rotting the fins' idea. i think the connection of the fins to tubes is very weak ... evidently like the solder joint. guessing poor quality control and very thin fins. i blew mine out on the first 'spectrum' rad with the pressure washer. have been very careful since. the performance didn't seem to change appreciably.
Edited by redpepe, Oct 12 2017, 10:31 AM.

JellyBeanDriver

redpepe
Oct 12 2017, 10:28 AM
i was tempted to resolder too. thx for the report.

i've always been doubtful of the 'ocean air rotting the fins' idea. i think the connection of the fins to tubes is very weak ... evidently like the solder joint. guessing poor quality control and very thin fins. i blew mine out on the first 'spectrum' rad with the pressure washer. have been very careful since. the performance didn't seem to change appreciably.
My fins turned green and black and literally disintegrated. Eventually even the cores get thin and start to weep.

Dystopiate666
Member Avatar

Scoobs
Oct 11 2017, 10:25 PM
Dystopiate666
Oct 10 2017, 11:43 AM

Out of all of the manual locking hubs ive sold over the last 5 years working at Oreillys, ive sold mostly about 90% of them have been mile markers. While ive never seen one come back from being worn out from expected use, ive seen several break from misuse and abuse.
Selector cap failed on my warn hubs...which, I came to find out was a somewhat common problem for them.

It would just barely trying to engage the tips of the splines on the axle shaft all the time when it was in the off position....presented as a rotational clicking sound anytime the hubs were not engaged. Now I have a ford factory hub on one side and....the other warn still on the other...lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Tech and Tool Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply