Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Strut Bearing Stacks
Topic Started: Oct 10 2017, 08:43 PM (219 Views)
julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
Hey guys,
I dug into my 91 vert and found the shocks/ struts were doing absolutely nothing. I decided to replace the stock springs with Vogtland Lowering Springs and KYB shocks/ struts. KYB strut mounts and I cant remember what brand shock mounts. Everything went well on the rear.

When attempting to build the new strut assemblies i found that my bearing stacks (shim, thrust bearing, shim, oil seal) were completely broken in half on the passenger side. So, I ordered new ones and they just showed up.

My questions are whether or not there is a specific procedure to install these? should the strut mount spin freely once these bearings are installed and torqued? Also do these commonly fail? I would have never known it was broken if I never took it apart and steering seemed fine.
Edited by julio3231, Oct 10 2017, 08:44 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Just my .02ยข...See if this helps;

1.) Whether or not there is a specific procedure to install these?

No particular procedure, but best, IMHO, is to follow the numbers descending #17 to #1...
Note: use some graphite or bearing grease on the bearings...

Posted Image

2.) Should the strut mount spin freely once these bearings are installed and torqued?

There will be resistance, they are designed to work under a load...

3.) do these commonly fail?

Not generally, I find that most get old and fall apart due to people don't change the struts as often as they are needed, the seals dry out and they lose lube and protection from the elements...most of the ones I change are still factory struts...that is sometimes 20+ years of abuse...

4.) I would have never known it was broken if I never took it apart and steering seemed fine...

This is mostly due to the Metro being such a light weight car...but once you install those new struts and strut tower bearings it will feel like you have power steering...
:drivin
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
What is the torque spec for the nut that holds the whole stack together? I don't want to overtorque them and have them break.

I also noticed that there is a sealed version of these bearings. Do they work better? I would assume they're at least less of a pain in the butt to build.

doviatt
Member Avatar

My '92 FSM states the strut nut is torqued at 37 lb.ft.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Suspension/Steering/Alignment · Next Topic »
Add Reply