Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GasNeedle =)))
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 04:38 AM (485 Views)
PrettyGurlUglyCar
Member Avatar
Mel's LiL "Vessel" ;) 199K

I know I'm studying "Automotive" but its NOT 2nd semester yet so I thought I would ask you guys that know ALL about these cars....1ST my question is fuel economy....Is there anything else I should change besides plugs,wires,filter,fuel filter & oil change too get the BEST mileage from my tiny "Vessel"? Also I get paid tomorrow(thursday night) and my work is 7 miles and my gas needle is just starting too touch the RED its not even all the way on the red but I know shes running really low so will I make it too work or should I ride the bus? I get paid WHILE I'm at work so all I gotta do is get there(7 miles) & its a stick shift & I will be good meaning I will NOT drive like I'm in a "Contact Sport" :D :drivin.....TY guys I LOVE my little car & I got the wrong plugs last time so I never did a tune up and its been about a year honestly & I drive the car hard because thats just how I drive & she still purrs but sometimes I can tell I'm doing too much so I ease up but now for long lol look where I live...Its like L.A. now there are people ERRYWHERE!! Thanx Again & please I am NOT "Afraid" too do anything you tell me too my car & I have tools :thumb :D She now has 208K on her and even though I drive my car hard it seems like it doesnt mind....Pisses erryone else off but they should learn how too do the speed limit or atleast 10 mph OVER!! :rofl
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

you should be good... touching the red is about 3 gallons left.

You are up very VERY early for Vegas time... You been gamblin all night? LOL

When you get a chance... carry a gallon container with you for a couple days when it gets low and don't worry bout running out... It will give you a new perspective on that fuel gage.
Edited by MR1 Kingsbury, Oct 12 2017, 06:05 AM.

Woodie
Member Avatar

This car had one gallon left in it, and the gauge was typical of the other six Metro/Swifts I've owned:
Posted Image
The key is, how much gas do you normally put in it, when you think you're getting a full tank? If you fill it up when you're getting close to the red and it takes 7 or 8 gallons, then your gauge works normally and you're nowhere close to empty. It'll take 11 gallons from bone dry to dribbling down the fender.

For best fuel economy, put 40 psi in the tires and drive more gently. The way you drive will make more difference in mpg than anything else, by a long shot.

I'd expect 40 mpg from your 16V manual hatchback, but I never drove in LA type congestion.

freegeo
Member Avatar

The red mark just above the E is a low fuel level warning. Like Woodie and Mr1 Kingsbury said there is usually 2 - 3 gallons of gas left when the needle hits the RED mark.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

freegeo
Member Avatar

Quote:

I got the wrong plugs last time so I never did a tune up

Factory recommended plugs for your 1.3.

NGK type - BKR6E11

Denso type - K20PR-U11

Plug gap - .039" to .045"

Any auto parts store should be able to tell you what is the recommended and oem type plugs.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Azhule
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Things I do for best fuel economy...

NGK or Denso Iridium Spark Plugs, NGK Wires, 10% of maximum tire pressure (set tires to 40psi, 44psi is the tires max), 0w-XX full synthetic engine oil, lightest weight full synthetic transmission fluid possible, remove any excess weight, simple aero mods, and grab a few cans of "Amsoil Power Foam"... Subaru, GM, Hyundai, Mopar, and several others also have a version of "Power Foam", it's basically a Foaming version of throttle body/intake/piston/valve cleaner it foams up to clean every nook and cranny... works great for cleaning out stubborn EGR valves and ports too...

How I usually "Power Foam"... get engine up to operating temps... with engine running, remove the air filter and set idle to ~2,000 rpms and spray at the throttle plate until most of the can is gone and dark (gray/black) smoke coming from the exhaust pipe, drop the rpms down to idle and spray more Power Foam onto the throttle plate until the car dies...

Open the throttle plate and spray the rest of the first can in the intake plenum... grab a second can, take off the EGR valve and use a little bit to clean both the valve and ports (you will hear the foam when the ports are clear)...

Now remove each spark plug and spray the Foam directly on top of the pistons...

Re-install everything you removed from the engine and wait 30 minutes to an hour or so to let the Foam do its yob and clean (don't much longer or the carbon filled liquid will evaporate away and leave hard carbon chunks behind)...

Start the car (might need to use full throttle to get enough air in the engine for the first start-up), idle for a few minutes (3 to 5 minutes), then go for a nice "spirited" drive to get those rpms up above 3,000 to help purge the (now liquefied) carbon from the system... drive around until the smoke dies down... sometimes as little as 5 or 10 minutes... other times it can take a few hours to purge all the carbon deposits from the cleaned system :P

My 1997 Metro LSi (1.3l 4 cylinder with 3 speed automatic transmission) has been getting no less then 33 up to 47 mpg every fill up... and I don't baby the "low horse power, e-brake for dirt drifting mobile" :lol

:cheers

Prairie to pine

Most metros on "E" still have quite a bit of gas in them but this is not something to play with. My best advice is Borrow a gas can and put a gallon of gas in it. Then drive your car till it runs out. see where the needle in YOUR car is at. Pour in the gallon of gas and cycle the key three times. till the fuel pump comes on each time. it should then immediately fire up , (DO NOT TRY THIS, IF YOU HAVE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST Doubt, as to the condition of your fuel pump as this will likely put it over the edge and kill it if its slightly gimpy.) Best wishes and good luck. Jonathan

PrettyGurlUglyCar
Member Avatar

Woodie
Oct 12 2017, 06:07 AM
This car had one gallon left in it, and the gauge was typical of the other six Metro/Swifts I've owned:
Posted Image
The key is, how much gas do you normally put in it, when you think you're getting a full tank? If you fill it up when you're getting close to the red and it takes 7 or 8 gallons, then your gauge works normally and you're nowhere close to empty. It'll take 11 gallons from bone dry to dribbling down the fender.

For best fuel economy, put 40 psi in the tires and drive more gently. The way you drive will make more difference in mpg than anything else, by a long shot.

I'd expect 40 mpg from your 16V manual hatchback, but I never drove in LA type congestion.
TY your so smart....Its so ridiculouscthat there are this many ppl here its sickning & I just get irritated & then I have NO "Filter" my mouth just keeps talking shyt :drivin I mean dude next to me was really trying too race a METRO?? :rofl & he passed me of course & after all that bs we met at the light....Im the irritating bitxh in the 98 Metro & my car has a trunk like mayb 3 bodies? :rofl :rofl I will try to slow down but I doubt it.....I have just bern driving for so long I just want erryone too MOVE so I can just go & there are so many stop lights here & I dont ever take the freeway because I used to until I looked in my rear view because traffic was slowing down(spaghetti bowl) & all I saw were cars racing towards me :( NEVER got bakk on the freeway again....I said "WOW" when I saw your guage....So there is NO "Fuel" light?
Edited by PrettyGurlUglyCar, Oct 17 2017, 08:44 AM.

PrettyGurlUglyCar
Member Avatar

Azhule
Oct 12 2017, 09:40 AM
Things I do for best fuel economy...

NGK or Denso Iridium Spark Plugs, NGK Wires, 10% of maximum tire pressure (set tires to 40psi, 44psi is the tires max), 0w-XX full synthetic engine oil, lightest weight full synthetic transmission fluid possible, remove any excess weight, simple aero mods, and grab a few cans of "Amsoil Power Foam"... Subaru, GM, Hyundai, Mopar, and several others also have a version of "Power Foam", it's basically a Foaming version of throttle body/intake/piston/valve cleaner it foams up to clean every nook and cranny... works great for cleaning out stubborn EGR valves and ports too...

How I usually "Power Foam"... get engine up to operating temps... with engine running, remove the air filter and set idle to ~2,000 rpms and spray at the throttle plate until most of the can is gone and dark (gray/black) smoke coming from the exhaust pipe, drop the rpms down to idle and spray more Power Foam onto the throttle plate until the car dies...

Open the throttle plate and spray the rest of the first can in the intake plenum... grab a second can, take off the EGR valve and use a little bit to clean both the valve and ports (you will hear the foam when the ports are clear)...

Now remove each spark plug and spray the Foam directly on top of the pistons...

Re-install everything you removed from the engine and wait 30 minutes to an hour or so to let the Foam do its yob and clean (don't much longer or the carbon filled liquid will evaporate away and leave hard carbon chunks behind)...

Start the car (might need to use full throttle to get enough air in the engine for the first start-up), idle for a few minutes (3 to 5 minutes), then go for a nice "spirited" drive to get those rpms up above 3,000 to help purge the (now liquefied) carbon from the system... drive around until the smoke dies down... sometimes as little as 5 or 10 minutes... other times it can take a few hours to purge all the carbon deposits from the cleaned system :P

My 1997 Metro LSi (1.3l 4 cylinder with 3 speed automatic transmission) has been getting no less then 33 up to 47 mpg every fill up... and I don't baby the "low horse power, e-brake for dirt drifting mobile" :lol

:cheers
AWESOME!!! I will def tell U how good I do :D ....Go ME! Im SO excited too do this & show everyone how im a "Daddys Gurl" you can tell by how "Motivated" I am to do stuff too my car...I do have too say that with work & college I have NOT changed the oil since March....I WILL change it tomorrow & my uncle will watch just to make sure but some guy told me too add "Lucas" too my new oil....I said "im not adding that shyt 2 my car!" Ive seen 1ST hand wat "Lucas" does should I add some "Marvels Mystery Oil" or just change the oil...Should I get the oil for over 100K miles,Synthetic, & oil cap says 10-W5??? Ummm.....Thanks Again my friend :D

PrettyGurlUglyCar
Member Avatar

freegeo
Oct 12 2017, 08:56 AM
Quote:

I got the wrong plugs last time so I never did a tune up

Factory recommended plugs for your 1.3.

NGK type - BKR6E11

Denso type - K20PR-U11

Plug gap - .039" to .045"

Any auto parts store should be able to tell you what is the recommended and oem type plugs.
Ok Thank You I wrote what U said down because some auto parts store workers WISH they knew about "Cars"

PrettyGurlUglyCar
Member Avatar

freegeo
Oct 12 2017, 08:45 AM
The red mark just above the E is a low fuel level warning. Like Woodie and Mr1 Kingsbury said there is usually 2 - 3 gallons of gas left when the needle hits the RED mark.
TY but I still will try & NOT run it that low but I just might so I can add some fuel cleaner? Thanx Again :D

PrettyGurlUglyCar
Member Avatar

MR1 Kingsbury
Oct 12 2017, 06:02 AM
you should be good... touching the red is about 3 gallons left.

You are up very VERY early for Vegas time... You been gamblin all night? LOL

When you get a chance... carry a gallon container with you for a couple days when it gets low and don't worry bout running out... It will give you a new perspective on that fuel gage.
No I know better then too gamble....I work 3rd shift as an EMT thats why im up plus that "Mandalay Bay" shooting here in Vegas Oct 1ST devastated me because I just started my shift about 2 hours before & I havent been able too sleep very good that was just HORRIBLE & HEART BREAKING even as an "EMT" its just terrible too think about but I love my little "Vessel" other then her DYING in a rain storm at 11pm at nite when I just past about 12 cars we're all at the light they caught up :thumb I was in the middle lanr cars loises ALL power so I jump out.....Tell guy next 2 me I needa push this in front of U he said "ok" now hes getting out getting ready too help me & I had already had the car over there on the side street I just figured there not heavy or my father(R.I.P.) helped me & im pushing the car from my door because I needed to steer so I culd of fixed the battery clamp with a screw or a quarter but I was wearing NOTHING but a see through long tank top freezing my a$$ off :banghead U guys are awesome I hope one day you guys will be in Vegas or I can drive too where U guyscare & have EVERYONE look at my Metro I honestly think U guys would say she runs GREAT she even idles rite below the 1 ^o) :D I will take better care of her I promise :thumb Thanx Again

Azhule
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
PrettyGurlUglyCar
Oct 17 2017, 08:53 AM
AWESOME!!! I will def tell U how good I do :D ....Go ME! Im SO excited too do this & show everyone how im a "Daddys Gurl" you can tell by how "Motivated" I am to do stuff too my car...I do have too say that with work & college I have NOT changed the oil since March....I WILL change it tomorrow & my uncle will watch just to make sure but some guy told me too add "Lucas" too my new oil....I said "im not adding that shyt 2 my car!" Ive seen 1ST hand wat "Lucas" does should I add some "Marvels Mystery Oil" or just change the oil...Should I get the oil for over 100K miles,Synthetic, & oil cap says 10-W5??? Ummm.....Thanks Again my friend :D
I'm currently using 0w-30 oil in my 1997 Metro LSi... no reason to worry about the miles on the car and swapping oils... I bought a car a few years ago with over 240,000 miles on the odo, had never had synthetic fluids it's entire life... first thing I did was swap everything I could to syn... car now has over 260,000 miles on it with no problems

I would also avoid the Lucas stuff unless it's their cheapo fuel system cleaner/upper cylinder lube (contains "PIB" helps fuel tension and most of the time increases fuel economy while lowering emissions)

I have nothing but good things to say about "MMO"... noticed my dad using the stuff when I was a kid and every now and then I have been known to pick up a gallon at wally world (only $13 for a gallon round here) and use it for random "clean up" projects when I have more time then $$... Schaeffer Neutra 131* usually cleans better and faster (at ambient temps) then MMO does (MMO cleans better with heat), but at two to three times the price of MMO I normally can't justify using the Schaeffer product

* I know when you initially look at the Neutra 131 bottle and directions it looks like it's a fuel system cleaner, but when you read the PDF linked below you will see it can be used for cleaning up a dirty engine/transmission/differentials too, one ounce of Neutra to each quart of oil... drive for 500 or more miles then change the oil and filter... depending on how dirty the fuel system is, add 6 to 12 ounces of Neutra to 10 - 20 gallons of fuel... I usually change the fuel filter after the second tank of fuel is used up

http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/32-131-td.pdf

MPG

I'm a religious user of MMO 1/2oz pergal in fuel 20% in engine oil
MMO keeps my 91 3banger scrubbed clean on inside & out 199K purring like a kitten :drivin
Edited by MPG, Oct 17 2017, 07:16 PM.

PrettyGurlUglyCar
Member Avatar

Prairie to pine
Oct 12 2017, 04:48 PM
Most metros on "E" still have quite a bit of gas in them but this is not something to play with. My best advice is Borrow a gas can and put a gallon of gas in it. Then drive your car till it runs out. see where the needle in YOUR car is at. Pour in the gallon of gas and cycle the key three times. till the fuel pump comes on each time. it should then immediately fire up , (DO NOT TRY THIS, IF YOU HAVE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST Doubt, as to the condition of your fuel pump as this will likely put it over the edge and kill it if its slightly gimpy.) Best wishes and good luck. Jonathan
Will do awesome TY :thumb

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fuel Economy/Performance · Next Topic »
Add Reply