Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Terra; 1995 Nissan Pathfinder
Topic Started: Jan 29 2017, 03:26 PM (3,148 Views)
Mythstae
Member Avatar

Yay! Yesterday I got my Pathfinder running again.
(Battery dead, needed to jumpstart it. But to jumpstart it, I had to jumpstart the Metro in front of it and move it...)
It was like... car Tetris.
Start the other Swift, to jump the Metro, to move the Metro (after I put air in the flat tire), to jump the Pathfinder, to move the Pathfinder... :lol
But, I (and my boyfriend, it is so nice to have help :wub: ) got it all done, so now, today, I need to empty out all my Metro parts and misc out of it, Terra is getting RESURRECTED! :bacondance
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mythstae
Member Avatar

Mythstae
Jan 29 2017, 03:26 PM
I need to empty out all my Metro parts and misc out of it
Done! ^o)
Next step, get her to a transmission shop, probably, and then after that, either detail her myself or pay somebody else to do it (mice... :x )

Mythstae
Member Avatar

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/2621-manual-transmission-tsb/

Everyone who has a 1986.5 to 1995 4wd Truck or 1987-1995 4wd Pathfinder should be aware that the FS5R30A manual transmission up until 1995 does not provide adequate lubrication to the main and counter drive gears.

If you are experiencing transmission whine in every gear except for 4th, you have a problem. You should park your truck now and have the transmission rebuilt, the alternative is that the transmission will eventually grenade, and a $500 rebuild quickly becomes a $3000 replacement.

The tsb's show a diagram with the "fixed" transmission case, the only difference being that the fill hole was moved up 0.97 inches! That increased the oil capacity by 1.5 liters from 3.6l to 5.1l
Well, balls. That's exactly my problem!

BUT WAIT...! :hmm

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/33615-5-speed-transmission-oil-amount-1995-v6-4x4/

The TSB goes up to 95, but the 96+ R50 uses the identical tranny with the exception of one thing, the fill hole is located higher up giving it a higher capacity.
Eureka! Might be time to take the boyfriend and/or the nephew (more helpers is always better!) on a junkyard run... next time it's half price day, of course... ^o)

Also fascinating, I see Redline MT90 recommended, but also GM Synchromesh. Who'da thunk?

Mythstae
Member Avatar

:type
Putting out some feelers to get a replacement transmission...
:)

Mythstae
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Field fresh!

evmetro

I just replaced the motor in one of those for one of my customers. It was the v6, so very little room under the hood.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mythstae
Member Avatar

Yeah, it's pretty cramped in there.
I recall oil changes being a nightmare, but it's been a really, really long time since I changed the oil...
(I mean, no point changing it when it sits for, well, several years...)

evmetro

Mythstae
Feb 12 2017, 10:34 PM
Yeah, it's pretty cramped in there.
I recall oil changes being a nightmare, but it's been a really, really long time since I changed the oil...
(I mean, no point changing it when it sits for, well, several years...)
The oil drains onto the starter and messes it up over time. That is why there is a metal shield on the top of the starter, but it still gets oil soaked. Not fun to replace. Those v6 exhaust systems are notorious for noisy leaks.
Edited by evmetro, Feb 12 2017, 10:50 PM.

davegran
Old Fart w/Wrenches

Mythstae
Feb 12 2017, 10:04 PM
Posted Image

Field fresh!
I always thought that model was one of the most attractive SUV's ever made. :wub:

Mythstae
Member Avatar

Meh. Wasn't my choice - ex-husband abandoned it in the divorce. Kept the Ranger and the Camaro. I got the Pathfinder.

gamefoo21
2 Swifts n a Turbo Sprint

Those Nissan Pathfinders can be tough little things. The electrical though tends to be a mess on them though.

The Ranger is a decent little truck, but they can be troublesome. Camaros are junk, reliable engines if they have a V8, gutless trash with anything else. Those transmissions and if an older gen Camaro, the glass rear ends... lol

I'd say you made out better with the Pathfinder.

Mythstae
Member Avatar

Camaro was indeed a V8, 5 speed, 1991 IIRC.

gamefoo21
2 Swifts n a Turbo Sprint

Mythstae
Feb 13 2017, 04:38 PM
Camaro was indeed a V8, 5 speed, 1991 IIRC.
Oh, no real loss, could only get a 350 with the auto. The only other option was the 305, which while reliable, was gutless, and the TBI or did it have the spider... were ugh worthy.

B-)

scratchpaddy
Member Avatar
Not so fast

Woah, that's a lot of moss! Trying to offset its carbon footprint? :P

Mythstae
Member Avatar

scratchpaddy
Feb 13 2017, 09:45 PM
Woah, that's a lot of moss! Trying to offset its carbon footprint? :P
Hey, hey, hey, the last time I checked, mind you this was in about 2011, she was getting a solid 25 MPG on the freeway!
Which really isn't that bad for a V6 4x4...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Project Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply