Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Speakers...or not...
Topic Started: Nov 11 2017, 03:26 PM (678 Views)
geogonfa
Member Avatar

I have almost finished the Gold 98 Metro, just a few more minor things, anyways, It needs a stereo and some speakers...
So I installed an original Delco cassette stereo that I had on the shelf and ordered some Pyle speakers for the doors...
When I removed the door this is what I found just hanging there...
I can't find any info on them and I know we have some stereo people on here that maybe can shed some light on this,
BTW...they do work, but, don't fit well with the huge magnets...
Someone used hog ring staples to hold the speakers in place...guess they couldn't find the screws...
:type

Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

those hart speakers were made by the kove audio company and are some of the finest speakers ever made! ;)

bang them with a 60 watt per channel amplifier and they'll blow yer' socks off. :whistle

and they have the 1" silk dome tweeters, too? lucky find! :deal
Edited by t3ragtop, Nov 11 2017, 04:27 PM.

Mythstae
Member Avatar

Neat! :O
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Iconn
Member Avatar
ICONN

Speakers yes. I just put some 6.5 with those adapters on my black 96. Believe it or not it had no radio - EVER. It did NOT have speakers from the factory. So the sound is loud enough that I do not have to tear out the rear panels to put in rear speakers. I used bolts and nuts to fasten the adaptor to the door panel and then put the panel back on. The speakers came with a fasten on grill that used the same screws. From Best buy for about $50.00.

geogonfa
Member Avatar

They sound good even with the stock radio...probably drop them into my next project vert... :D

Mythstae
Member Avatar

They'd fit better in a vert. 95+ cars need the 6.5 to fit right... As you can plainly see :lol
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GEODE
[ *  * ]
How many watts RMS does the original factory Delcos put out? I still have the radio cassette in mine.

Thanks

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

factory radios had a total peak output of 14 watts and run about 20% harmonic distortion at full output.

verts use 4" speakers in the dash positions (mk2 and mk3) and 4" speakers in the rear cowl positions. some guys have used the access holes in the rear cowl pillars to install 5.25" speakers but they aren't factory speaker positions. personally, i don't like that arrangment as the placement fires the speakers into the floor and seat backs. ;)

still, the found hart component speakers are some of the very best vintage speakers ever made. hart was a subset of kove and what you have are basically re-branded kove speakers that were sold under the hart "attack" label. if you didn't find the crossovers along with the speakers i probably have a set in my stash. ;) i also have a nice stock of high power hart attack amplifiers in 2 and 4 channels.

GEODE
[ *  * ]
I agree. I had a mustang convertible once and had my 5 1/4s pointed at the seatbacks. you lose the highs, no good..
I prefer door speakers with nothing blocking except my ears.

Now I have the Geo hatchback and I probably get 99.99 % total harmonic distortion at full volume. Speakers dead but
I have some to go in. Probably need an extra amp to power up the old factory radio. And do the mod so I can hook up
an Ipod or phone. Thanks, I just needed to know the power but I figured it was low, probably 7 watts rms per channel.

Woodie
Member Avatar

No audio system should ever be turned up to full volume, they all put out monstrous levels of distortion when turned way up, and that's what blows speakers. When you first hear distortion, that's the time to back off until you don't. If that's not loud enough then you need more amplifier.

On a broader, more philosophical note, nothing in life should be turned up to full. Subtlety and moderation are the keys to having life run smoothly.

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

Woodie
Dec 19 2017, 06:40 AM
No audio system should ever be turned up to full volume, they all put out monstrous levels of distortion when turned way up, and that's what blows speakers. When you first hear distortion, that's the time to back off until you don't. If that's not loud enough then you need more amplifier.

On a broader, more philosophical note, nothing in life should be turned up to full. Subtlety and moderation are the keys to having life run smoothly.
Just as i read this, I consider my fuel gauge (like all Metros)
Don't turn it up to full when 7/8ths will do ya. If it's not full enough, you need a bigger tank.

PTA2PTB
Member Avatar
I'm totally awesome! I swear.

“Everything in moderation, including moderation.”

― Oscar Wilde

GEODE
[ *  * ]
Yea man you need to really calm down with this moderation thing, you are really getting out of control here!!! CAAALM DOOOOWN! ;)

On a lighter non-philosophical note... Has anyone tried the Aux input modification? How were the results? Thanks again

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Audio Section · Next Topic »
Add Reply