Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Emissions OBD 2
Topic Started: Dec 20 2017, 02:40 PM (1,164 Views)
menc
[ *  * ]
Will not pass inspection....Catalyst,,EGR system,,02 Sensor ALL [3] Not Ready...Gas gauge does not work...Where do i BUY a Fuel tank sender Unit,,,this appears NOT TO BE apart of the fuel pump...THANK YOU... 1997 2 door metro small block...............The problem is it WILL NOT PASS INSPECTION.....
Edited by menc, Dec 21 2017, 11:18 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Moringa
Member Avatar
Living BOT

The 95 was OBD1. Do you want advice on the Toyota?

freegeo
Member Avatar

His post states it is a 97 2 door. hopefully it is a metro.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

menc
[ *  * ]
It is a METRO,,,,,a 1997,,,,,3 cylinder,,,,OBD 2 for sure ....I apologize for the confusion.........I hope someone
can help....... My toyota was stolen and found waded up.....THANK AGAIN..........mcnc

Moringa
Member Avatar
Living BOT

He did. . .and called it mcnc. Let's see, "Metro convertible North Carolina" I guess.

freegeo
Member Avatar

I checked rock auto and none was listed for a 97.

Have you done any trouble shooting to see if it might be the gauge or wiring that is bad?

menc
[ *  * ]
I Have not troubleshot yet. The emissions are my main concern...With 3 items not ready ???You have to have 1/3 or more gas in tank for The PCM to be READY to test catalyst,,,,,,the egr,,,,,02 sensor......Tomorrow i am going to drop the tank to check fuel tank sender OHMS output......I should also be able to check the dash gauge by grounding the sender unit wire....That should read a full tank....thank for your comment....

Moringa
Member Avatar
Living BOT

On most vehicles, the gas level should be between 1/4 and 3/4 full, for the EVAP monitor to run. The fuel level has no effect on other monitors, like the ones you mentioned.

freegeo
Member Avatar

If you need a procedure for checking the fuel gauge and system I can check the 97 FSM and post what I find

freegeo
Member Avatar

This is from the 97 FSM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Attached to this post:
Attachments: fuel_gage_1.jpg (107.39 KB)
Attachments: fuel_gauge_3.jpg (97.85 KB)
Edited by freegeo, Dec 20 2017, 11:25 PM.

Woodie
Member Avatar

Anything you want to check on the top of the gas tank can also be checked underneath the rear seat. It's a lot easier to get to. If you find the voltages going in to the tank are good, but coming out is not, then drop the tank and look into the sending unit. It's more likely a wiring problem though and dropping the tank is a pain.

freegeo
Member Avatar

You stated the emission failed since it was not ready. Do you know if the engine is going into closed loop? The check engine light is not on or any code stored in the PCM?

menc
[ *  * ]
Failed emission . Inspection report says catalyst,EGR,02 senor are NOT READY.The car was driven from Texas to NC,1400 miles not stop. I have been told that the PCM will not perform these [3] test with the gas gauge on empty...Moringer post #8 fuel level has not effect on these 3 test..WHO IS RIGHT??????? check engine light is not on. I was TOLD it showed no CODES...thank you all

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

menc
Dec 21 2017, 11:31 AM
Failed emission . Inspection report says catalyst,EGR,02 senor are NOT READY.The car was driven from Texas to NC,1400 miles not stop. I have been told that the PCM will not perform these [3] test with the gas gauge on empty...Moringer post #8 fuel level has not effect on these 3 test..WHO IS RIGHT??????? check engine light is not on. I was TOLD it showed no CODES...thank you all
actually both are correct. The pcm will not perform these system tests without at least 1/3 a tank.
And
The fuel level has no effect on the test or results, that is if the tests are performed....
the pcm decides when to do tests and with a dead fuel gauge, it decides not to run all tests.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Quote:

.The car was driven from Texas to NC,1400 miles not stop. I have been told that the PCM will not perform these [3] test with the gas gauge on empty..

I'm pretty sure the O2 sensor has no dependency on minimum fuel tank level, but the O2 sensor itself might not be working, which could prevent the other 2 systems passing their readiness tests.
Edited by suzukitom, Dec 21 2017, 12:46 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply