Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Front Axle Replacement
Topic Started: Jan 7 2018, 08:07 PM (473 Views)
PrettyGurlUglyCar
Member Avatar
Mel's LiL "Vessel" ;) 199K

Hi....I have no idea why and at this point don't really care WHY but my right cv joint is clicking again so my mechanic and I will go too pick a part and get another axle and change it tomorrow...Is there any seals I need too do also...If it were YOUR car and it has 220K on it what other things would you do? If I turn really sharp the tires pull like thier "Struggling" and trying too pull AGAINST my turn but could that be doing that do too the CV joint being bad,the tires being bald or the steering pump being bad because when the car runs the PS squeels a constant squeel that has NEVER went away....Its hard too explain the pulling its doing when I turn sharp at VERY slow speed like coming out of a parking lot...I'm fixng her little by little as I can & when taxes come I will change my clutch out because I'm pretty sure it will be in need of one.......The car pulls when turning it feels as if the tires have a huge hole and its fighting the turn but then if I stratighten out its ok. When we change the axle tomorrow I will post a video showing you stuff & seeing what else could I do while the axle is out. I drive slower now because if that axle breaks I do NOT wanna hit someone walking or at the bus stop hittin a car is not ok but I dont wanna put people lives in danger & my mechanic said BEFORE it breaks it would be pulling too the right so much you wouldn't be able too drive it? Is THAT true? Wont the CV boot squeel very loud going straight BEFORE they break or is it the pulling I have too watch for? :D I NEVER EVER go on the freeway not in Las Vegas,NV thats like a death wish waiting too happen. Happy New Years Everyone....Thanx Again :thumb
Attached to this post:
Attachments: car.jpg (153.86 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nickb803
NickB803

Seals- Not unless they are leaking (input seals for axle into trans)
If it were mine I would replace both CV's with new parts from RockAuto and skip the junkyard parts. You mentioned clicking again, that's why i would get new axles. After that i would get it aligned...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PrettyGurlUglyCar
Member Avatar
Mel's LiL "Vessel" ;) 199K

nickb803
Jan 8 2018, 11:20 AM
Seals- Not unless they are leaking (input seals for axle into trans)
If it were mine I would replace both CV's with new parts from RockAuto and skip the junkyard parts. You mentioned clicking again, that's why i would get new axles. After that i would get it aligned...
Ok Great TY

Bill CNC
Member Avatar

Junkyard part's give you Junkyard quality repair's

Unless you know exactly how to recondition "CRAP", it's best to buy them new from anywhere but the Junk Yard. 95% of all those shaft's were clicking for many miles before they went to the junkyard.

Regards
Bill

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Bill CNC
Feb 12 2018, 12:53 PM
Junkyard part's give you Junkyard quality repair's

Unless you know exactly how to recondition "CRAP", it's best to buy them new from anywhere but the Junk Yard. 95% of all those shaft's were clicking for many miles before they went to the junkyard.

Regards
Bill
junkyard parts can be a good way to save money without compromising quality, especially at fixed part price yards.

Cars arrive at a junkyard for different reasons. Some are well maintained, but have a rusty body or had an accident. others are worn out. You have to learn how to tell the difference. Finding a recently replaced OEM part is like winning a lottery.. :D

Bill CNC
Member Avatar

Oh I agree, ... But as I stated, ... Unless you know how to recondition crap, buy them new.

From all I have gathered in my 57 years walking the planet, the majority of the people don't. I know that sound's harsh, but face it, most people don't have the knowledge nor the tools to recondition a lot of parts, in this particular case, halfshafts (axles).

Just for fun, ... Out of let's say 10 Geo's sitting in a junk yard (Unicorn example, never 10 in one yard), how many axles would you think are usable, ... more than a couple of thousand miles? The majority of the cars I see in the yards here in SoCal, are tired and used up. The owners decided, that spending one more dollar on it was not a smart choice. To many things over the years are piling up making the cost of repairs more expensive that a down payment on a new car. If they were still in decent condition, they would be curbed (sold privet party). Honestly, who couldn't sell a decent running Geo that gives the mileage these do? Heck, I get asked to sell my cars almost once or twice a month.

I personally think Junkyard parts are for Interior, exterior body parts and impossible to find mechanical parts. While I am completely able to recondition most part's that in pretty bad shape, I'd rather not waste my time and just buy the thing new with a warranty, ... Well, unless I am wanting a project, or just to prove I can do it just for the educational experience and some here know I love doing projects.

My Exhaust Manifold Cat mod was my last Geo one and was only done from necessity, but I must admit, that was one fun puzzle. That one sidesteps the shortage of 95-97 Exhaust manifold Cat issues. :thumb
Edited by Bill CNC, Feb 13 2018, 09:21 PM.

Metromightymouse
Member Avatar
Powdercoat Wizard

Bill CNC
Feb 13 2018, 09:16 PM
Oh I agree, ... But as I stated, ... Unless you know how to recondition crap, buy them new.

From all I have gathered in my 57 years walking the planet, the majority of the people don't. I know that sound's harsh, but face it, most people don't have the knowledge nor the tools to recondition a lot of parts, in this particular case, halfshafts (axles).

Just for fun, ... Out of let's say 10 Geo's sitting in a junk yard (Unicorn example, never 10 in one yard), how many axles would you think are usable, ... more than a couple of thousand miles? The majority of the cars I see in the yards here in SoCal, are tired and used up. The owners decided, that spending one more dollar on it was not a smart choice. To many things over the years are piling up making the cost of repairs more expensive that a down payment on a new car. If they were still in decent condition, they would be curbed (sold privet party). Honestly, who couldn't sell a decent running Geo that gives the mileage these do? Heck, I get asked to sell my cars almost once or twice a month.

I personally think Junkyard parts are for Interior, exterior body parts and impossible to find mechanical parts. While I am completely able to recondition most part's that in pretty bad shape, I'd rather not waste my time and just buy the thing new with a warranty, ... Well, unless I am wanting a project, or just to prove I can do it just for the educational experience and some here know I love doing projects.

My Exhaust Manifold Cat mod was my last Geo one and was only done from necessity, but I must admit, that was one fun puzzle. That one sidesteps the shortage of 95-97 Exhaust manifold Cat issues. :thumb
It might be good to note that we have made all the above suggestions and reasons clear to this user on more than one occasion. She chooses to ask the same questions every few months.

sser2
sser2

nickb803
Jan 8 2018, 11:20 AM
I would replace both CV's with new parts from RockAuto and skip the junkyard parts.
No - no - no - no!

Chinese axles often develop problems almost immediately after installation. I used them two times - one was making funny noise, on the other outer boot was not tight.

OEM axles last forever as long as boots are not torn. Good OEM axle from junkyard is best one can do.

Edit note: Rock Auto may have remanufactured axles (Cardone if I remember correctly). These are much better than new Chinese.
Edited by sser2, Feb 13 2018, 11:56 PM.

Dystopiate666
Member Avatar
Tree Banger

I have had fitment issues with aftermarket axles as well. I have old factory axles, repacked with the boots from the new surtrack axles used to wrap the joints. it is a mess job but overall building a halfshaft is pretty straightforward, it pretty much wont go together wrong.....

special tools required to rebuild geo metro axles.....hammer and crimper.

MichaelSAlford
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
On a previous Metro I had some torn boots on my CV axles. I bought these replacement boots on Amazon and in a word, they were horrible. They were 'adjustable' which really meant they didn't fit anything. Fell off, came loose, etc. I could have bought whole new axles for just a bit more. Lesson learned, I suppose.

sser2
sser2

In my experience (and it is not only with Metro), only OEM CV joint boots last, and they have to be installed properly.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply