Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1.0 L Rebuild
Topic Started: Jan 10 2018, 01:25 PM (993 Views)
julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
Hey guys,

My 91 vert is experiencing some blow by issues. It runs great if I don't mind putting in a quart of oil everywhere I go...

I've researched a bit on here and found the "oil farts" issue. I plan to measure my cam bearings and journals and then measure my cylinders.

I hope that I can get away with new valve guides, a valve job, new piston rings, and a head gasket with the bigger oil holes. Boring and decking are also options if necessary.

Any suggestions on things to do while it's apart are appreciated!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
I ordered enginetech intake valves, exhaust valves, and cylinder head bolts, Fel-Pro HIS9651PT head gasket kit, Fel-Pro SS72710 valve stem seals, Clevite standard piston rings and connecting rod bearings from rockauto.

I found a machine shop on island that will machine whatever I need for a reasonable price. I'm hoping I won't need to bore/ deck anything which will bring my machining cost way down.

If i pull the pistons out after I pull the cylinder head off, I can check the cylinder dimensions,in the car, just like any machine shop would. If the dimensions are out of spec, ill have to disconnect it from the transmission and relatively new clutch, and send it to get bored out. then, buy new pistons, rings, etc
Edited by julio3231, Jan 11 2018, 01:59 AM.

nwgeo

If it is not already apart, check your compression before you do pull it apart.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Metbob

Might wont to hold off on the pistons until you get it to the machine shop. They will need to measure the bores, it might need to be bored out. That means you will need oversize pistons and rings. Might wont to get them to check the cam journals also :dunno

julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
I am an Aerospace Machinist and an ASE Senior Master former Ford Senior Master. I have the measuring tools necessary.
I bought standard rings in hopes that I caught it before it got too bad. The little engine runs great. It just pukes/burns oil way too fast for my liking (I just noticed this in the last 150 miles). I am hoping my cylinders will be close enough to spec to simply re-ring. If I am out of spec I need new pistons and rings anyway so ill send the standard ones back. Hopefully I will be back on the road in a week, or so with a freshly rebuilt engine that can last another 170K miles.
Edited by julio3231, Jan 11 2018, 12:07 AM.

freegeo
Member Avatar

Do you have a factory service manual (FSM) to use for the rebuild? Has all the specs for clearances.

julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
I do not. I just have a crappy haynes manual.

freegeo
Member Avatar

I sent you a PM.

julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
I pulled the cylinder head and the pistons and valves have definitely seen better days. I still have a nice crosshatch in my cylinders though and almost no ridge at the top, so I think I am just going to go in with new pistons and rings and send my cylinder head to the machine shop with new valves/guides. I will decide when I get the pistons out

freegeo
Member Avatar

The cylinder usually will look pretty good, but they tend to get out of round. Measure and make sure.

julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
I will for sure. I'm tempted to just pull the block out because it'd be really nice to put a clean rebuilt engine in instead of just rebuilding in the car (172000 miles of oil buildup). Also, it will make the build a bit easier.

Iconn
Member Avatar
ICONN

I am doing one and have a spare block that I took apart. the taper on either of them is .0004. and like you I think rings is good enough. I have been told that the piston groove may not be flat enough so that is the next thing. I am soaking all three pistons in berrymans's Chemtron Dip to remove the carbon.

freegeo
Member Avatar

edited
Edited by freegeo, Jan 20 2018, 06:59 AM.

julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
I got my cylinder head back from the local machine shop. Turns out the exhaust valve guides were loose. All new valves valve stem seals, 3 angle valve seat grind, .006" resurfaced due to pitting. I had some minor piston and cylinder wear so bored the block over .020." I bought new .020" oversize pistons. The machine shop removed my main bearings which I had not planned on doing. Now that they're out, though, new main bearings and thrust washers are the only things keeping me from building the bottom end. I think I might build the cylinder head(intake and exhaust manifolds) separate from the bottom end and then put one on top of the other in the car. This way I can probably get around renting a hoist.

Quick question... I am trying to save my connecting rods. Should I have the wrist pins pressed out of my old pistons, or get a bigger hammer? I don't have access to a press.
Edited by julio3231, Feb 6 2018, 08:43 PM.

freegeo
Member Avatar

I'm sure about a 3 angle valve job on these engines. They burn valves bad enough. I would think they need as much metal as they can get.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply