Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sound deadening and insulation
Topic Started: Jan 12 2018, 01:01 AM (562 Views)
Ryancc
Member Avatar
Canadian Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just purchased Noico Sound Deadener off of Amazon for 60$CAD for my 97 hatch and I was wondering where the best places to install it would be. The stuff is pretty thin so maybe a couple of layers on the noisiest spots would be ideal. Thinking of doing the spare tire well and doors first. Any suggestions?

Also a note about the product: Its super light (36sqft only weighs 2lbs) so it will not affect mpg too much. I will for sure leave a review here once installation is complete. Hoping that it will be good for insulation as I will be driving to Edmonton pretty soon here and it was -20 the last time I checked.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Places that could use the stuff:
doors,
rear 1/4 panels,
roof,
just to name a few...
Give us updates and post pics...
Or better yet do a "How To"...
:popcorn

ScotSwift
Member Avatar
GMFs resident Brit

I looked into this a while ago but found that there is a ton of different information on the subject so it would be hard to make a definitive how-to. Looking back through my note book here is what I wrote about doing it properly (maybe).

1) Cover 25% of the following panels' surface area over 50% to 75% of their surface area with foil backed, self-adhesive, anti-vibration material:
Floor pan
Roof
Door
Rear quarter panels
Rear hatch
Firewall

2) Apply full coverage of closed cell foam.

3) Apply full coverage of mass loaded vinyl and cover seams with vinyl contact cement.

This of course could be wrong and entails much expense and work BUT I came up with what I think is a genius idea, if I do say so myself; scour junk yards looking for end of life luxury vehicles and pull as much sound dampening material as you can from them. This would cut costs considerably but would potentially add a ton of work.
Edited by ScotSwift, Jan 12 2018, 12:27 PM.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

i'd guess that about 40% of the noise in a metro comes from the floor pan, 20% from the firewall, and the rest through the rear wheel houses, rear quarters, and the trunk floor.

when i did the chassis restorations in my verts i pulled the thick rubber pad on the firewall back and laid up modern fatmat there and on the entire cabin floor.
Posted Image

that knocked down the transmitted noise and heat in the cabin by more than half. ;)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nickb803
NickB803

I usually do the floor plans in 80 mil fatmat. In the winter I set my heat to floorboard low and it's super nice. Floorboards and door panels are the two spots i hit.

Ryancc
Member Avatar
Canadian Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the suggestions! I will post back here when I'm done.

ScotSwift
Member Avatar
GMFs resident Brit

I wonder if copying Continentals Contisilent technology would give good results in our cars? They line the inside of that particular model of tyre with polyurethane foam using some kind of adhesive and claim it can reduce interior noise by up to 9 decibels. I contacted someone on eBay that was selling a used pair and asked them to measure the dimensions of the foam. The dimensions they gave me are from a 275/45/21 tyre and are 12cm x 2.9cm (4.724 inches x 1.142 inches). Obviously there should be three measurements but I think they only measured the thickness and the length of each section which is fine as the width isn't really important for is.

From the photos below I suspect that it is some kind of closed cell foam they are using. Does anyone know of any good source that this material could be reclaimed from in such a thickness? A quick search online shows that buying sheets 2.5cm thick can get expensive but I would really like to give this a try.

Posted Image
Posted Image
https://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/contisilent

Ryancc
Member Avatar
Canadian Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thats a pretty interesting idea! I have seen camping mattresses made out of the same kind of material for fairly cheap maybe one could be cut up and used for that. If not I would try any home hardware store.

Update: I have put the insulation in the spare tire well, and on the back hatch, rear quarter panels, doors and a small section of floor and I can confirm it works really well! Reduced noise by around 30% and also made my sound system sound a lot better. I will be putting more in on the floor, roof and firewall. Pictures will be added to this thread soon(ish)

Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
What i did (because im a cheap guy) is go to the junkyard and get a extra isolation mat and put it ontop of the old one in the trunk, and then put regular car floor mats on the sides. I cant take a picture now because i cant open the hatch inside the garage.

ScotSwift
Member Avatar
GMFs resident Brit

Swift-guy
Jan 29 2018, 10:53 AM
What i did (because im a cheap guy) is go to the junkyard and get a extra isolation mat and put it ontop of the old one in the trunk, and then put regular car floor mats on the sides. I cant take a picture now because i cant open the hatch inside the garage.

I put a couple of extra layers in the trunk and I can't say that it made much difference on it's own. I was thinking along the same junk yard lines but removing the factory sound insulation and anti vibration pads from other cars. For example the big yard near(ish) me had (and may still have) this old Mercedes S-Class. I can imagine that spreading all of the sound insulation that this thing would have around the inside of a Swift would make a world of difference. Bet I could get the lot for less than $50 too. Even something more common like a 190 or W201 etc should be a great source for cheap sound insulation.

Posted Image
N934 SGY: 1995 Mercedes S280 Auto by Matt S, on Flickr
Edited by ScotSwift, Jan 29 2018, 05:20 PM.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

i'm more performance oriented when t comes to my suzuki cars. they are pretty susceptible to weight increases (including mine) so i tend to go light with the insulation.

when using fatmat and the like, you can really cut down on panel drumming by just using enough to cover about 25% of the area of a fender. as long as you apply enough to de-couple the mechanical movement of a steel panel you can get great results without adding a bunch of weight.

when it comes to the floor, you need to use full coverage to isolate road noise (and heat.) in my case, with verts, full floor coverage also provides a good deal of rust proofing as water from top leaks no longer sit on the steel floor pan or have a way of percolating into welded seams.

another source of noise comes from the hood and trunk on my verts. i use fatmat in this fashion:

Posted Image

Attached to this post:
Attachments: 100_2984_zps273b76f5.jpg (163.92 KB)

ScotSwift
Member Avatar
GMFs resident Brit

t3ragtop
Jan 29 2018, 05:36 PM
when using fatmat and the like, you can really cut down on panel drumming by just using enough to cover about 25% of the area of a fender. as long as you apply enough to de-couple the mechanical movement of a steel panel you can get great results without adding a bunch of weight.
Yes like I said earlier in the thread, 25% coverage of a panels total area across 50% to 75% of it's area for vibration dampening. This page seems to sum it up nicely.
http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/car-audio-and-video/accessories-and-installation/sound-dampening-guide/

1) 25% coverage of vibration dampener (constrained layer damper) on most panels
2) 100% coverage (with overlapped and sealed seems) of a sound barrier (mass loaded vinyl) from the window line down
3) 100% coverage of closed cell foam to absorb sound. The foam tyres I posted above are an extension of this, absorbing road noise before it reaches the body of the car.

The problem is that doing it this way is expensive even in a small car like ours so some kind of middle ground needs to be found that offers a low cost for reasonable improvement.
Edited by ScotSwift, Jan 29 2018, 08:50 PM.

Ryancc
Member Avatar
Canadian Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
The noico stuff works pretty well.. Also bought some weather stripping (foam kind for windows in house) and put it on the seals of the doors and hatch. It made a world of a difference and cut wind noise by about 80%. Going to buy 100sqft of the noico foam insulation and get 100% coverage with the stuff. I will also use fatmat on the hood and firewall. I'm also going to fix my motor mounts because they're causing my exhaust to rattle. I will keep you all posted!

ScotSwift
Member Avatar
GMFs resident Brit

Ryancc
Feb 3 2018, 02:12 PM
Also bought some weather stripping (foam kind for windows in house) and put it on the seals of the doors and hatch. It made a world of a difference and cut wind noise by about 80%.

Sounds like a great investment. Could you share some photos of how you installed it exactly?

Ryancc
Member Avatar
Canadian Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
ScotSwift
Feb 3 2018, 06:24 PM
Ryancc
Feb 3 2018, 02:12 PM
Also bought some weather stripping (foam kind for windows in house) and put it on the seals of the doors and hatch. It made a world of a difference and cut wind noise by about 80%.

Sounds like a great investment. Could you share some photos of how you installed it exactly?
Sure can probably take some pics tomorrow. I will also share pics of the noico

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Body/Chassis/Interior · Next Topic »
Add Reply