Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fuel injector pintle cap?
Topic Started: Mar 4 2018, 12:26 PM (590 Views)
metromix
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
First, I'd like to express my gratitude to this forum. Without it I would be in the dark on many issues.

So, my fuel injector went out. I replaced it with a cheap fuel injector (FI ) from ebay - just to make sure that was the problem. I also replaced the fuel pump which probably needed to be done anyway.
While changing it out, I stripped the phillips screw with loctite holding the injector cover.
I figured a mechanic could remove the screw with better tools, but was unable to. $115 seems like a ripoff for a job NOT done. I'm not sure why the engineers make this component out of butter.
Looks like I will need to drill it out... Ugh.

What ( affordable ) fuel injector do you recommend?

I see many photos of the plastic bit on the nozzle of the FI. I did not know if that was necessary since the old FI didn't have one on. Now I wonder, as I plan to install a better one...
Is that the pintle cap?
Do I leave it on?
Doesn't seem to fit with it on, so I assume it is just for protection during transport.

Since the old FI was a Bosch type I thought I might find a similar model reconditioned...
Attached to this post:
Attachments: FI_s_l1600.jpg (80.96 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

David95237

Doesn't make much sense to leave a cover on the part that squirts fuel.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

metromix
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
I should probably call it a RING, rather than a CAP.

That's what I would assume. It is currently installed with out it.

The mechanic said the spray cone was pretty bad.
Got me thinking - is that the pintle cap i took off?
Does that adjust the spray or do something?
Other components on the FI are made of some kind of plastic - so it is possible.
Never done it before - dunno.

Could be that I got what I paid for in a cheap ebay FI.
Though, it did get things running again! So that's nice.
Edited by metromix, Mar 4 2018, 12:57 PM.

freegeo
Member Avatar

Are you talking about the blue plastic piece on the end of the injector next to the black o ring? The original Bosch Denso injectors do not have that. It may just be a protective cover to keep it from getting damaged during the manufacturing process. I'm not sure it needs to be on there. I think it would change the spray pattern if left on.
Edited by freegeo, Mar 4 2018, 01:46 PM.

metromix
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
That is what I speak of. The blue ring. Good to know the original doesnt have it. I'll try to get one of those. Thanks!

freegeo
Member Avatar

Me personally I would stay away from the really cheap fuel injectors from China. They work but from the one I had it did not perform as well as the original Bosch Denso ones.

ptcapboy

I also broke both screws not knowing they were loc-tited-broke down at night leaking gasoline and a tow to the new car dealer and a drill and tap job to fix the throttle body cost me over 500 dollars-I was influenced by my condo association not allowing work on the property but if I would have thought it through a little slower I could have fixed it with a complete used TB off ebay for 65 dollars-

metromix
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
I'll see what I can do with the stuck screw, but should that go south... A used throttle body off ebay is a comforting and affordable idea. Thanks.

sser2
sser2

Philips screw holding injector clamp was definitely bad design. These screws are installed with Loctite as of FSM, and undoing them with a regular Philips screwdriver is asking for trouble. Only an impact driver with proper bit will do the job safely.

On all of my Metros, I replaced those Philips screws with hex head bolts.

Only Denso/Bosch injectors should be used. Injectors do not wear; high mileage injectors just need professional cleaning to restore them to like new condition.

Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Today i put in my aliexpress injector and it came with a blue cap. lots of brute force later i removed it. seems to pull much harder and idle lower and smoother.

freegeo
Member Avatar

Swift-guy
Mar 10 2018, 01:04 PM
Today i put in my aliexpress injector and it came with a blue cap. lots of brute force later i removed it. seems to pull much harder and idle lower and smoother.
I hope it lasts for you and you have no future issues with it.

Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
freegeo
Mar 10 2018, 01:43 PM
Swift-guy
Mar 10 2018, 01:04 PM
I hope it lasts for you and you have no future issues with it.
I suspect the original one to be faulty but i will keep it in the car with a toolkit. And keep everyone updated in the future if anything happens.

I also did NOT mean that removing the blue cap made it pull harder, i meant that the new injector did that. i have not tried the new injector with blue cap on! (just to make it clear)

freegeo
Member Avatar

Understood. The cheap one I tried ran good too, but the fuel trims were close to maxing out. My fear was if the injector started to leak some the pcm would not be able to compensate for it

Woodie
Member Avatar

I would send the old one out for refurbishing. They rarely go completely bad, just get crusty and sticky.

Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Little more information.
The old injector smells like stale gas and the new cheap one seems to make it run a little rich (i think) which could cause trouble during the emissions test next week.
If i still get the same issues of the engine as i had before i will put the old one back in after cleaning it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Intake and Exhaust Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply