Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New alternator for amp for sub?; Can you run an amp, 2 speakers and a sub?
Topic Started: Mar 5 2018, 02:34 PM (535 Views)
Broons7388
[ *  * ]
So I currently have 4 kicker 4" speakers 2 in the dash 2 in the rear. I want to install 2 more 6.5 speakers in mid, and an amp for 1 possibly 2 subs. Do I need to upgrade the alternator to do this? I'm not trying to wake up the neighborhood but definitely would like some decent sound for some metal. :rocker Also I cannot find the 6.5 speaker adapters for the mid as the site that was posted doesn't sell em any more. Also any recommendations on an amp and sub. Not trying to break the bank but something decent.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

92blumetro
jack of all trades, master of two

a pair of tens will work fine, hell even 12's.
one of my cars has a 1000w mono amp driving a pair of 10's, 4 years on the stock alt (45 amp)
my other car has a 1400w mono amp driving a pair of 12's, but I have the cs130 alt upgrade.
both engines idle down on the big bass notes
all depends on wiring, and what quality of amp you buy. cheap amps make heat, draw more power to make "rated" power.
stiffening caps are for looks.
depends on box configuration and sub specs to get the amp you need to drive them.
sealed subs can handle more power, more forgiving to tuning below their frequency range.
ported subs can usually be tuned to lower frequency, need less power, but aren't as forgiving to frequencies below their tuning range.
all my sub boxes are double 3/4 mdf, sealed . if the box flexes, youre losing spl from your subs.
a pair of 10's with 600 watt (300 rms) mono would be ample. large power and ground wires a must!
I use 1 or 1/0 for power and ground cables. its large, but it makes for easier upgrades down the road.
use a circuit breaker on the power wire to the amp, many sizes to suit your need, plus it can be shut off without disconnecting the power cable from the battery.

nickb803
NickB803

Personally I would do the CS130 upgrade, deep cell and the big 3. But that depends on how many add ons you want to run as well. System, AC, lighting etc. I usually go a little crazy so I always do the alternator upgrade. I think I'll add a light bar on the one I'm doing now..

Dominus2010
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ive done the CS130 swap as well as build a bracket for a second alt. granted im running a big system. but yes i would recomment at LEAST the cs130 swap and big 3

sser2
sser2

Electric power consumption under adverse driving conditions (for example, using AC or driving at night with heater fan on hi) may approach alternator's 55 A rating. This may cause battery undercharging, which, if occurring frequently, may dramatically shorten battery's life. 200 W subwoofer amplifier may consume nearly half alternator's output, so running it continuously may cause battery undercharge even under normal driving conditions

92blumetro

newer amps can be a lot more efficient-but some newer ones are complete garbage.
research the amp you want to buy, check the ratings....how many amps it ACTUALY draws at what voltage versus actual wattage at what frequency at that voltage.
my $400 1400 w class d amp can pound my 12'' subs all day and hardly get warm.
my $99 1000 w amp gets toasty hot in 20 minutes driving my 10's
you get what you pay for.

Broons7388
[ *  * ]
Thanks for all the solid advice guys. My alternator actually failed yesterday so I figured I might as well upgrade it to the cs130 size

92blumetro

you will need a different belt size as well.

Broons7388
[ *  * ]
You wouldnt happen to know the correct belt to use with the cs130 would you?

92blumetro

not off hand, as I am also running a underdrive pulley as well as a cs130. my belt size is a gates k030300. you would need longer than that.
maybe someone with a STOCK crank pulley/cs 130 setup can chime in.

Dominus2010
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
if im not mistaken my belt is the exact same size as factory. if you purchased the cs130 swap bracket there is enough adjustment there.

Dominus2010
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
word to the wise.... get a GOOD belt. you will cook a cheapo belt pretty quick.

Peenutzz
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I used to have 6 speakers, two subwoofers and two amps on the stock alternator and a 40Ah battery without any issues ever.

Dominus2010
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Peenutzz
Apr 7 2018, 04:39 PM
I used to have 6 speakers, two subwoofers and two amps on the stock alternator and a 40Ah battery without any issues ever.
must not have been very big amps.

Peenutzz
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Dominus2010
Apr 8 2018, 12:22 PM
Peenutzz
Apr 7 2018, 04:39 PM
must not have been very big amps.
Amps don't need to be big to give good and/or deafening sound. At normal listening volumes an amp uses just a few watts. I had a 4x50W Pioneer and a 1x160/2x80W JBL. These brands don't throw around big numbers when advertising, but I can assure you that it sounded decent, even at higher volumes and that you would't spend longer than a minute in the car at full power without some form of hearing protection :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Audio Section · Next Topic »
Add Reply