Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Battery light on permanently
Topic Started: Mar 10 2018, 09:21 PM (229 Views)
CrystalWhite
[ *  * ]
Hey guys, just bought a 1991 Suzuki Swift GT project car. There are many things ive fixed so far, and many things to repair. One issue I am trying to solve now is the always illuminated battery light. I get 14v at idle, have installed a new battery, replaced the battery terminal connectors, and still the issue persists. Car runs and drives normally for the most part, but I have noticed that occasionally the battery dummy light switches off, the DRL cluster light illuminates for a fraction of a second, turns off and then the battery light turns back on again. This can happen multiple times while driving a longer distance. DRLs do not function as far as I am aware. I am guessing either the DRL resistor has shorted to ground, the relay is damaged or there might be an issue with the ECU. Has anyone had a similar issue and solved it? Thanks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

freegeo
Member Avatar

I haven't but the factory thought about it. Click on the link. Look is section08A-030 ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSIS STARTER AND CHARGING. Chart 5, it is a short one.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5044844/1/#new
Edited by freegeo, Mar 11 2018, 01:51 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

My 91 Turbo Sprint with that exact problem. it turned out to be a bad Hitachi alternator. I put a new one in and plan to rebuild the old one later, with a replacement rectifier.

Dystopiate666
Member Avatar
Tree Banger

Maybe short to power on the light circuit?

CrystalWhite
[ *  * ]
Thanks guys, Im going to try that diagnosis procedure, rewire the drls to disable them permanently and see if that does it. Previous owner said that the guy he bought it off of put a new alternator in it. Could be a bunch of nonsense but who knows. Ill report back when i know.

David95237

When you unplug the alternator does the light go off?

CrystalWhite
[ *  * ]
Light turns off when alternator plug is disconnected. Alternator is toast. Thanks for the help guys!

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

depending on where you are in BC, picapart used alternator are on sale this week. and there are good local rebuilders in Vancouver.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply