Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Urgent: Need front hubs for daily driver 1992 Geo Metro Xfi (parts places say discontinued); Urgent: Need front hubs for daily driver 1992 Geo Metro Xfi (parts places say discontinued)
Topic Started: Mar 11 2018, 04:41 PM (785 Views)
KimInTN
[ *  * ]
Hi everyone, I need 2 front hubs for 1992 Geo Metro Xfi with 1.0 liter engine. We've called all over and they are discontinued. Does anyone have any for sale? or know of anyone that may? It is daily driver. We are in Nashville, TN. I was looking online and saw that perhaps a Suzuki Swift and Cultus, Pontiac Firefly and Chevrolet Sprint might have interchangeable parts? Does anyone know the year range of parts that would fit this 1992 Xfi? Rock Auto has a Front Hub that appears may work as has same 4 stud 4.5 inch pattern, but several friends said may need to make sure the splines match? It's for a 1992-1994 Honda. Thank you for any help! Kim
Edited by KimInTN, Mar 11 2018, 04:42 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PTA2PTB
Member Avatar
I'm totally awesome! I swear.

Howdy, and Welcome.

What's wrong with your current ones? Can you not, simply, get a couple sets of new front wheel bearings, grease seals, and rebuild you steering knuckles? Usually, that's all it takes.

KimInTN
[ *  * ]
Hi the mechanic says they are bad. He got the bearings out but hub is bad.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

removing the wheel bearing race can occasionally damage or reveal damage on the hub surface. but unless the spline are buggered or contact surfaces severely damaged it might be reusable. I guess you can rely on your mechanics judgement.

KimInTN
[ *  * ]
It can damage it removing the wheel bearings? The rear was fixed and it was driven a long time making noise. This just started making noise a couple of weeks. Once damaged guess no way to repair?

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

KimInTN
Mar 11 2018, 06:10 PM
It can damage it removing the wheel bearings? The rear was fixed and it was driven a long time making noise. This just started making noise a couple of weeks. Once damaged guess no way to repair?
the rear drum hub bearings are a different design than bearings used at the front.

Removal of the front wheel bearing race from the front hub can be done with a bearing splitter and shop press or some mechanics use a cutting wheel and punch to crack and chisel off the bearing race, which can sometimes gouge the hub surface. this kind of damage can be either superficial or enough to require a hub replacement.

Most of the time, a hub is reused as there is usually little wear on the hub itself in normal use.

Edited by suzukitom, Mar 11 2018, 07:07 PM.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

on your 92 geo, the hub design should have much less risk of damage during wheel bearing service than newer Metros.

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 261618_Graphic_315.jpg (15.35 KB)
Edited by suzukitom, Mar 11 2018, 07:18 PM.

Broons7388
[ *  * ]
According to geozone http://geometroforum.com/topic/3145172/3/
The entire knuckle assembly is interchangeable from the 95 and newer geos. So if you have no other options just to replace the entire knuckle assembly so you dont have to worry about the hub.

Broons7388
[ *  * ]
I just replaced the rotors on my 92 and the inside of the hubs looked great after 162000 miles. Nice and shiny. The amount of weight that the geo deals with is so much less than other cars and the fact that they are press fit to the bearings makes damaging them kinda werid. You would think they would be one of the last parts damaged in the assembly. I would be very interested to see what they looked like.

Broons7388
[ *  * ]
Here is another example of replacing the knuckle http://geometroforum.com/topic/1586515/1/

KimInTN
[ *  * ]
Broons what year did you put on your 92? Several said only could use hubs 1989 to 1996. The entire knuckle assembly can be used from 1995 to most current though? Did you get yours from a salvage yard? Thank you!

Broons7388
[ *  * ]
I still have the stock knuckles and hub on my 92. I guess its the mk3 versions are comparable to our 92 version as shown in the second link I posted. I'm fairly certain that the hubs from 89-94 are interchangeable. Anything 95+ will most likely be an entire knuckle assembly replacement.

Broons7388
[ *  * ]
Its too bad you can't just get the hub out of this Ebay Link
Edited by Metromightymouse, Mar 12 2018, 01:20 AM.

Broons7388
[ *  * ]
some more great info from evmetro on this topic http://geometroforum.com/topic/8062514/1/
Edited by Broons7388, Mar 11 2018, 09:15 PM.

Dystopiate666
Member Avatar
Tree Banger

just for your reference, Kim, 95 was the first year of the new/last body style (there were a couple minor changes when the brand Geo was officially discontinued in 98, but for the most part, steering, drivetrain, suspension, body, glass, interior...etc is the same from 95 until the end of production. There were a couple slightly different body styles from 89 to 94 (or further back if you count the sprint), with the main differences being the rear bumper and license plate lights. For the most part, early stuff will bolt right up to your car.....AAAAANNND.......most of the steering, suspension and brakes from the later years can be swapped to your XFI as an "upgrade".

If you end up having to use the later stuff, you will have to get the brake calipers, knuckles and rotors for the front and pretty much everything from the rear.....

Swapping to the later stuff gets you the larger lug studs (which in turn means the bigger rims and wider tires), the larger (more powerful) brake setup and the heavier springs.....cut a coil or so off each spring and swap to the bigger stuff at the same time and you will be blown away at the difference in handling....

Although I cant believe you cant find knuckles...guess we get spoiled out here in the west.....

I have a pair of the older knuckles here at the house I would be willing to part with, but they will need bearings and seals and The shipping from AZ to TN might be really crazy.....Id take 25 per knuckle (plus shipping) if you were interested....
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tires/Wheels/Bearings/Brakes · Next Topic »
Add Reply