Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Second gear grind after bushing replacement
Topic Started: Mar 11 2018, 04:53 PM (247 Views)
CrystalWhite
[ *  * ]
Just replaced the shifter bushings on my GT due to sloppy and vague shifter. Since then I have gotten a slight but noticeable crunch going only into second on upshift.

The transmission had a hard life from previous owners, it was a bit notchy but never grindy like this. I used new replacement bushings from BBowens, replaced the 4 tan bushings and the 4 bushings connecting the shift rod to the transmission linkage. Could I have adjusted something causing this to grind or is this just new bushings causing this?

Shifter still has some issues with springy movement in neutral on the 1, 2 side of the H pattern. It doesn't spring back into place like the 4,5 R side. Any ideas?
Edited by CrystalWhite, Mar 11 2018, 04:54 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

lube applied to bushings during assembly? bolt/nuts/sleeves assembled correctly and not over tightened?

CrystalWhite
[ *  * ]
I greased the bushings, it may be possible I overtightened them, what is the proper torque settings?

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

i don't have the torwue values at hand but it isn't much, due to the metal sleeves keeping things from being crushed.

when you replaced the bushings did you put the shifter (part 10 i think) back in the same position in the transmission floorpan (4 bolts) usually there are yellow paint marks showing bolt positions

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: s_l400__10_.jpg (23.27 KB)
Edited by suzukitom, Mar 11 2018, 07:29 PM.

CrystalWhite
[ *  * ]
I didnt touch that side of the shifter, the only bushings ive changed were 4 of the 18s, and both of the 24 and 25.

Dystopiate666
Member Avatar
Tree Banger

perhaps the Actual steel links are bent....I bent some dropping a trans out once and it made the shift pattern kinda wonky and tight....probably would become more prevalent after you tighten things up.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dystopiate666
Member Avatar
Tree Banger

Start sourcing a new trans now, so youre not hard up when this one goes kaput.....I drove around without being able to downshift into second for about 70k miles ....then eventually I started getting blocked out of 1 as well....then in the final days/weeks it started popping out of fifth gear at high speeds......not to mention it screamed like banshee from day one till its final day.....

a crunch, grind, ribbit sound in only one gear is almost certainly the synchro on said gear

Murf 59
Member Avatar

The only thing that has changed are external bushings. There is no adjustment for the syncros. With a sloppy shifter it might take just an extra half second or so to make the shift, giving the worn brass just a little bit longer to do its work. Best guess as a builder. It might be time to rebuild or replace this unit.

CrystalWhite
[ *  * ]
Thanks everyone, I'm going to relube the bolts, dial back the torque and replace the transmission fluid once I pop the blown out cv axle. Maybe that will be good enough.

What transmissions are cross compatible for these cars? Are transmissions from metros/sprints etc strong enough for at GT or would the best bet be rebuilding the existing one?

Dystopiate666
Member Avatar
Tree Banger

I have good luck finding used trannies for mine....any manual trans from any metro will work, if its from a swift gt youll have to modify it (not likely this will be your scenario, they are rare). Sprint trans will not work in a metro I don't think.

Are you using syncromesh in your box?

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

i find it interesting that the grinding occurred only after the shifter bushing changes. your comment about the lack of left to center spring action from the 1-2 gate us interesting. after bushing changes on my car, this spring action was very positive on mine. I still think it is worthwhile for you to check the fore and aft adjustment on the shifter assembly in case it is slightly off due to the new bushings lengthening the travel of the shift rod.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply