Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ford Ranger...?
Topic Started: Mar 19 2018, 12:54 PM (167 Views)
Stubby79
Member Avatar

Been given a hand me down Ranger...

Posted Image

...Not completely sure that's a good thing? Insurance is stupid expensive around here, or I would be thrilled about it.

Any experts in the house?
Attached to this post:
Attachments: image113.jpg (144.11 KB)
Edited by Stubby79, Mar 19 2018, 12:55 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mythstae
Member Avatar

:wub:

I miss my Ranger!

What year is yours?

Don't imagine they'd cover hubs with wheel covers, also it's a little short, so it must be 2WD.

Manual or Automatic?

Stubby79
Member Avatar

2000. 2.5L. 5-speed, 2WD.

Looking for opinions/real life results of switching the trans oil from ATF to some light-weight form of MTL, like our Metros use.

Why? You need to be really patient between the time you push the clutch in and when you put it in to gear. I don't know if this is typical of these transmissions, or if the synchros are crap. If you wait patiently for a few seconds holding the clutch in, it will go in like butter. I am guessing that the gears need time to spin/slow down. Doesn't really matter which gear you try to go in to.

No issues once you get moving.

Mercon or Mercon V ATF is what is called for. Its super thin, like most ATF. At least what's in the gear box right now is. Maybe just fresh Mercon V will make it happier.

92blumetro
jack of all trades, master of two

slow hydraulic slave in the bellhousing? maybe poor or low brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder?

my father-in law has an older ranger.did a clutch in it, (actually went in for a noisy release bearing) cheaped out and did not replace the slave, after getting it all back together, it would not shift if you didn't pump the clutch pedal a few times.....bled it a lot, still no clutch..... :x

it was a pita to pull the t-case & trans- custom exhaust and what not :shake -it was a ''favor'' job for the mother-in-law, they were getting divorced and she wanted the truck to drive away under its own power-

told her the trans was fubared, and he gladly hauled it away on a trailer
he EXPECTED her to pay for fixing it for him, so he could take it.
I did the bare minimum to save her money. my bad. :'(

but that truck and that ''man'' is no longer in our life :cheers
last I heard he's turning it into a ''show'' truck :lol

Stubby79
Member Avatar

Master cylinder is full. Never heard of a "slow" slave cylinder. Unless something weird is going on with a hydraulic hose expanding, I don't see how that would be possible. Besides, you can tell when you push in the clutch that it disengages immediately because the engine likes to rev up slightly(in spite of taking my foot off the gas at the same time) between gears.

Pumping makes no difference. Doubt its synchros unless they're all an issue. Which suggests it's either designed this way, or the oil/atf is playing a role in it.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

Stubby79
Mar 20 2018, 01:18 AM
Master cylinder is full. Never heard of a "slow" slave cylinder. Unless something weird is going on with a hydraulic hose expanding, I don't see how that would be possible. Besides, you can tell when you push in the clutch that it disengages immediately because the engine likes to rev up slightly(in spite of taking my foot off the gas at the same time) between gears.

Pumping makes no difference. Doubt its synchros unless they're all an issue. Which suggests it's either designed this way, or the oil/atf is playing a role in it.
The hydrolic clutches in the Rangers and F150s were junk. The 5 spds were not to bad, but had to keep oil in them. From the factory they had rubber plugs in the shift rod bores on the top cover. The ATF will come out as vapor and you never see a leak. Have rebuilt hundreds of these units. By 2000 they had worked out most of the bugs. Like to narrow of teeth on the snycro teeth for 5th/R. Put a thicker oil in it. Not 90w. The unit is also set up on tapered roller bearings and when they wear in, they get loose and sloppy. Do the clutch, have your local trans shop reend space the shim pack in the front. Install Doorman freeze plugs in the shifter top. Drive the hell out of it

Stubby79
Member Avatar

Synchromesh or the like?

UnicornSquadParts
Geo Parts KCMO
[ *  * ]
If the slave has ever been replaced might not have been bled right. These lil trucks suck trying to bleed the slave. They even sell a version that is already done.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Tech and Tool Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply