Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
No power after engine swap; No power
Topic Started: Apr 11 2018, 01:54 PM (543 Views)
3 verts
[ *  * ]
I have a problem with my Geo metro vert that no one has been able to diagnose. I had a crate engine put in 2800 miles ago and since getting it back it has lost power over time. Started out not very bad weak, just thought it might get better during break-in, but the last time driving 40 mph was as fast as I could get out of it. 40 mph was in 4th gear downhill. If I went to 5th, it would immediately slow down quickly. Already had two shops look at it and stated they are clueless to what is causing it. Timing is on, new plugs, wires, rotatery button, and distributer cap. Replaced fuel filter.coil tested good. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nineoneandblue
Member Avatar

Any codes?..... Any testing done?...... Compression or Vacuum test, clogged cat? Need more details.

3 verts
[ *  * ]
No codes, catalytic converter fine, compression all at 150. Don't know of any specific tests were done.

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Just throwing this out there...
First one to look for...Check the grounds at the back of the intake manifold under the throttle body first, clean and tighten...
Check charging system...
Check EGR valve and solenoids...
Test fuel pressure...
Last one to check but I have seen it affect driving, Brakes dragging?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

freegeo
Member Avatar

What do you mean by crate engine?

3 verts
[ *  * ]
Remanufactured

3 verts
[ *  * ]
Thanks geogonfa. I will get these checked

freegeo
Member Avatar

3 verts
Apr 11 2018, 03:11 PM
Remanufactured
Compression of 150 is low for a remanufactured engine. What was done to the engine when it was put in?
Edited by freegeo, Apr 11 2018, 04:08 PM.

3 verts
[ *  * ]
Put in?

nineoneandblue
Member Avatar

3 verts
Apr 11 2018, 01:54 PM
I had a crate engine put in 2800 miles ago
Like you said in your post..... "put in".

nineoneandblue
Member Avatar

150 psi compression is below the recommended service limits per the FSM, 156psi is on the lower end of the service limits per theFSM. New " out of the box" compression should be around 200psi +/-. They will run with lower compression but usually with drivability issues. 150psi for a "new" re-manufactured engine is low!
Edited by nineoneandblue, Apr 11 2018, 06:04 PM.

3 verts
[ *  * ]
Im aware that 150 is low for a new engine. But it is what it is. Still at 150 it should be able to pull itself. Driving one now with 90-70-70 that easily runs at highway speed.

nineoneandblue
Member Avatar

3 verts
Apr 11 2018, 06:06 PM
90-70-70 that easily runs at highway speed.
I Find that ..... We'll amazing! Good luck!

freegeo
Member Avatar

Start with the things that geogonfa suggested. Fuel pressure especially.

freegeo
Member Avatar

Could you post a picture of the end of the distributor shaft with the rotor removed?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fuel Economy/Performance · Next Topic »
Add Reply