Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
91 vert rear quarter panel rust
Topic Started: Apr 14 2018, 01:33 PM (259 Views)
julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
Hey guys,

My '91 vert has had rust near the decklid hinges since I bought it. Inevitably I opened my trunk today to find that one side had finally rotted all the way through.

I'm looking for either new rear quarter panels or a feasible fix . I have the decklid duct taped down now but I'd like to be able to use it again.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
"Chicks dig me and guys think I'm cool."

julio3231
Apr 14 2018, 01:33 PM
Hey guys,

My '91 vert has had rust near the decklid hinges since I bought it. Inevitably I opened my trunk today to find that one side had finally rotted all the way through.

I'm looking for either new rear quarter panels or a feasible fix . I have the decklid duct taped down now but I'd like to be able to use it again.
Pictures?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ryancc
Member Avatar
Canadian Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Imo it is probably better to find new quarter panels if the rust is really bad

sphenicie

MillSupply. $35.20.

Ebay search for 89-94 Swift wheel arch.

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

That's not what he needs.

Ken.........

julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
I'll post a pic as soon as I get to a computer. It's rusted through where the rivet that acts as a hinge pin is installed through the trunk and body.

julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMLs7kmlmYWNAIa3lxD4Oh4qN4I_CGA4ady1RKPWZx7fS0LPK8yYV4lNN5s5z9Y_Q?key=Y2RoZ3pBZVBmTm1IQkYyWWpldklnNkpwTldZOTRB

sphenicie

Well, it looks like complete "rear quarter panels" are available, $692.99, plus shipping.

1993XFI

Wow! I have never saw a vert rusted there before.

Prairie to pine

Cars near oceans tend to rust from the top down, (Around the windshields and back glass along with other crevices) the rest of us tend to rust from the bottom up) I think I known what he needs, But I too will wait for pictures. I Believe the area he heeds, is solid in my 91 vert parts car. I would get alot of perverse pleasure sending rust repair parts "FROM" Minnesota instead of here ."TO" Minnesota . ;) Jonathan

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
"Chicks dig me and guys think I'm cool."

Wow! It looks like it's been bondo patched as well. I would estimate the repair to be worth more than the car. How much do you want to put into it?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

julio3231
[ *  *  * ]
Come on, somebody cough up a couple cheap quarter panels for me :thumb . I just went through the whole car. new suspension, engine rebuilt, and new clutch and brakes. This thing runs great and is extremely affordable as a daily driver. It's the only geo metro convertible I've seen on Oahu so far. I just would like to utilize my trunk ^o)

Prairie to pine

could you get some other shots of the panel and the rusted area. (wider angle),FWIW my car is the same color, I would need to now how big a section you need. Can you splice in or would you need the entire quarter. If you need an entire quarter shipping alone will kill this project. Jonathan

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

The rust on your car is located in a fairly easy to access area for repair.

Maybe consider hiring someone with welding/fabrication skills to make and weld in a patch. The curvature of quarter panel skin appears to be the same as used on a much more common hatchback of the same vintage.

Edit: Most restoration folks believe in cutting the least amount of sound, unrusted original metal as possible to retain original structural integrity. A quarter panel in a unibody convertible is a critical component.

Posted Image

Attached to this post:
Attachments: vertpatchoptions.jpg (91.04 KB)
Edited by suzukitom, Apr 18 2018, 04:34 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Body/Chassis/Interior · Next Topic »
Add Reply