Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cheap Fuel Economy Car Ideas....; Yep! Another
Topic Started: Apr 15 2018, 09:23 PM (1,130 Views)
Horn

After owning my Jetta TDI for almost 2 years, I think it's time for me to get something else. (I might keep it). As much as I like the pulling power of the TDI, I'm tired of buying all the stupid small tools for one simple thing. It has done well, but I'd rather have something else.

I really like hatchbacks. A wagon would suffice if it is the right one. Again, I'm looking for very cheap. I'm not going back to the metro. I really want something that is simple. (Yes, I know, I know, the metro...I get it)

So far, here are the cars I'm thinking of
- Civic hatchback - harder to find in stock or fair condition
- Civic regular
- Saturn wagon
- Honda insight - very hard to find and i don't know if it would be worth it anymore
- Yaris - older ones ***These seem to be pricier and I think they are ugly**
- Rio hatchback - I think I've only seen these as 4 doors
- Accent

Just a quick list. What am I missing? TIA
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Metromightymouse
Member Avatar
Powdercoat Wizard

Suzuki SX4
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
"Chicks dig me and guys think I'm cool."

Wants a hatchback. Wants cheap. Wants simple.

Posts on a Geo Metro Forum for advice about seeking cheap, simple to work on transportation.

Yet won't accept advice recommending....THE GEO METRO! :smackface

clen
Member Avatar
Buy 'Em Up! Now!

Fiat 500 pop older ones. You can get them with manual transmission, & manual windows. Quite popular and so lots of parts and upgrades.

Mythstae
Member Avatar

How long until someone suggests a Suzuki Swift? :hmm

Snertsky
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Mythstae
Apr 15 2018, 10:09 PM
:deal Great suggestion!!! He gets the simple, cheap, efficient car he wants without any geo badging!!!

I've always wanted a 4wd Toyota Tercel from the 80's. They're hard to find in decent shape (much like metros/swifts in my area) but are simple enough to work on. By no means do they have any "pulling power" though.
Edited by Snertsky, Apr 15 2018, 10:55 PM.

Mythstae
Member Avatar

Snertsky
Apr 15 2018, 10:52 PM
Mythstae
:deal Great suggestion!!! He gets the simple, cheap, efficient car he wants without any geo badging!!!

I've always wanted a 4wd Toyota Tercel from the 80's. They're hard to find in decent shape (much like metros/swifts in my area) but are simple enough to work on. By no means do they have any "pulling power" though.
My first car was a 1987 4 speed Toyota Tercel, and it was damn zippy.
I'd drive one again in a heartbeat.

Turbo Dan-O
Member Avatar
Obsessive Car Detailer

GeoStalker
Apr 15 2018, 09:44 PM

Posts on a Geo Metro Forum for advice about seeking cheap, simple to work on transportation.

:gp

Come back to us Horn. :evillol

No on the Saturn. Going to be hard to get parts...

Get an old Honda or Toyota I guess but, why? The newer and "nicer" the car, the more and expensive problems you are going to have out of it. You know this.... What do you want that the Metro can't deliver?

Snertsky
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Mythstae
Apr 15 2018, 11:01 PM
Snertsky
Apr 15 2018, 10:52 PM
Mythstae

My first car was a 1987 4 speed Toyota Tercel, and it was damn zippy.
I'd drive one again in a heartbeat.
Don't want to bog up the thread with too much Toyota chat, but my first "commuter car" (to save miles on the truck) was an 88 Toyota Corolla Fx. That thing had some pep too.

In fact that car was cheap, fuel efficient, simple, hatchback......

But if you go into the Toyota hactchback world you should look for one of the Corolla FX-16's. I Believe there as a GT version too but both came with a different head including twin cams and fuel injection if I remember right.

EDIT: To clarify, I was originally speaking of the station wagon tercels. I've been in a hatch and it was indeed surprisingly peppy. The station wagon is a little clunkier and harder to get going.
Edited by Snertsky, Apr 15 2018, 11:15 PM.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

A Suzuki Esteem wagon with the G16B was the North American Suzuki upscaled alternative to the Swift beginning 1995 when GM /Suzuki strategy for 4 door variants went their separate ways.

Posted Image

I have one with the J18 5 speed which is slightly less thrifty than the G16B. It improved weak areas of the metro by using a multi point fuel injection, better idle controls, timing chain, standard power steering, separate bolt on suspension subframes front and rear, 4 point engine mounts, bigger brakes and axles and 13, 14 to 15 inch optional wheels. All while weighing only 350-400 pounds more than a Metro sedan. And selling for even less than a Metro as they were scoffed at even more than our beloved Metros. Popular as student cars gifted from their parents.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Suzuki_Esteem_Wagon.jpg (183.39 KB)
Edited by suzukitom, Apr 16 2018, 01:12 AM.

Stubby79
Member Avatar

My new-to-me ride:

Posted Image

Though I don't the you got the Echo as a hatchback in the US. They only did 2 years here before switching over to the Yaris (which is the same thing, just the next generation).

Cobrajet25
Member Avatar

I shall say no more... :whistle

Posted Image

Horn

Metromightymouse
Apr 15 2018, 09:39 PM
Suzuki SX4

- Never thought of one. Don't see many around. Wonder how hard parts would be to find....

GeoStalker

:lol :lol :lol I know. I would settle for a 1998+ 4cyl/5spd hatch with electric windows. Not sure if that is an option. Unfortunately everyone in my area looks like went to Iraq or had some spray salt water on it for 5 years straight.

clen
Apr 15 2018, 09:57 PM
Fiat 500 pop older ones. You can get them with manual transmission, & manual windows. Quite popular and so lots of parts and upgrades.

No, no and no. Those are pieces of shit. They were popular with gay people and women, but not guys. lol. Ask me how I know....(No, I'm not gay, nor am I "transitioning" to a woman)

Spoiler: click to toggle

Mythstae

HA! Fine! I'll settle for that!

Turbo Dan-O
Apr 15 2018, 11:09 PM
GeoStalker

:gp

Come back to us Horn. :evillol

No on the Saturn. Going to be hard to get parts...

Get an old Honda or Toyota I guess but, why? The newer and "nicer" the car, the more and expensive problems you are going to have out of it. You know this.... What do you want that the Metro can't deliver?

Ok, maybe I shouldn't completely cut out the metro, I'd actually like a slightly more comfortable and bigger metro. Maybe I could replace the shocks. Never did that on any of my metros. :lol

I don't think an older honda costs much more to fix than the metro. Another big problem is I don't see metros in junkyard anymore. I don't see many on craigslist either.

One of the reasons I mentioned the saturn is that I still see a good amount of them and I kind of dig the wagon.

I remember a guy in town I knew that had a mid 90s corolla wagon 5spd that was pretty neat....

Horn

Cobrajet25
Apr 16 2018, 04:22 AM
I shall say no more... :whistle
COUGH car payment COUGH
COUGH full coverage insurance COUGH
COUGH not cheap (yet) COUGH

.....maybe in another few years. I have nothing against the mirage aside from I don't plan on paying $5k right now. This next car I buy will hopefully be the bridge to a relatively newer car.

Guys....What I pretty much want from you is to get in my head, figure out exactly what I want, pick vehicles that I can easily get for very cheap, get max fuel economy, and fit all my luxuries and comfort features....."Oh, you are telling me that doesn't exist and I'm being ridiculous? Yeah, you are right"...

Horn

Also, by simple, I mean everything other than electric windows. I want those. You crazies can keep cranking away. That's for the birds.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply