Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Flange bolts
Topic Started: May 13 2018, 07:06 PM (197 Views)
blue_can
[ *  * ]
Anyone know where to get these. The threads on both the nuts and bolts are in bad shape. I managed to clean up the threads on the nuts and I'm going to try and do the same for the bolts. In the even this does not work I need to find a replacement.

I suppose I could use a regular flange bolt without the serrated surround but would be good to get the original type.

The threads are M10 X 1.25
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 20180513_165331__600x338_.jpg (133.12 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

freegeo
Member Avatar

I can't think of where those bolts are used on the car. Where did you get them off of? Most places that sell hardware usually have a flange type bolt. Not seen one like that, that had a serrated area too. If I know where it came off of I might be able to get a part number for you.
Edited by freegeo, May 13 2018, 07:20 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blue_can
[ *  * ]
freegeo
May 13 2018, 07:19 PM
I can't think of where those bolts are used on the car. Where did you get them off of? Most places that sell hardware usually have a flange type bolt. Not seen one like that, that had a serrated area too. If I know where it came off of I might be able to get a part number for you.
It in the place marked by the red lines in the attached GM parts diagram. From the diagram it looks like the entire muffler/resonator/ pipe assembly comes with these bolts in place so it may be that they cannot be obtained as a separate part.

Not too keen to spend $$ on an entire assembly (which is available new online from GM parts places) just because of these bolts especially since the rest of it is in very good condition.

Due to the state of the bolts I cannot get a good seal on that joint.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 980604SU03_086.jpg (114.72 KB)

freegeo
Member Avatar

Thanks for the diagram. That helps. I'm not sure you could get the same exact bolt. I would just get a new flange bolt or bolt with a good washer and nut to replace it with. I will look to see if that has a separate part number though.

freegeo
Member Avatar

Those bolts are part on the flange and don't come separate.

blue_can
[ *  * ]
OK thanks. I will try and clean up the existing bolts with a die - if that does not work I will use a regular flange bolt or a bolt with a washer as suggested.

freegeo
Member Avatar

There is only one place that might have a bolt like that. Fastenal. https://www.fastenal.com/

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Just my .02¢... :type
I generally just install some stainless steel nuts and bolts in place of those with a few washers...

Stiffchezze
Member Avatar
Sir Metrologist

geogonfa
May 13 2018, 09:36 PM
I generally just install some stainless steel nuts and bolts in place of those with a few washers...

:+1

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

lock washers... and a dab of anti seize

sphenicie

geogonfa
May 13 2018, 09:36 PM

Plus 2.

SS 3/8" bolts, cheap, easy......DONE.

blue_can
[ *  * ]
OK thanks for the input everyone. I tried to repair the threads on the bolts with a rethreading die - it partially worked but the threads at the start were too damaged and I could not get the bolt to start threading even though the rest of the threads were repaired okay.

So I installed new bolts as suggested.

I'm curious as to how they made these bolts. Maybe they used custom tooling - maybe a standard bolt which was pressed through a die to create the serrations and then maybe pressed on the exhaust flange to cutout the corresponding pattern there - or the flange also pressed out using some form of die.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Intake and Exhaust Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply