Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Off road 4dr 1.3 manual!; Making it off road capable.
Topic Started: May 14 2018, 10:59 AM (337 Views)
M4tthewd
Matt

In 2016 I purchased a 1998 pontaic firefly for the low low price of $700 CAD. Had 149000kms and no rust on the rockers! Which is extremely rare for canada. It was sitting in a garage for the last 3 years or so. The front drivers frame horn was a little rusty so I welded it up. Took it on for a safety and it pasted. Everything was fine and dandy for a year and thats when diaster hit. Went over a set of very unlevel train tracks and busted the floor pan and the alignment went to sh!t. Was about 50kms from home. Drove about 47 when the axle popped out! Got a tow for the rest. And thats where this story begins. I have many photos on my computer I will upload later today.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

evmetro

Are you considering putting this body onto a 4x4 frame and running gear?

M4tthewd
Matt

So apparently I lost all my photos. Damn. I'll list everything ive done to the car, and take current photos when it stops raining out.

welded floor back up
Welded firewall to floor brave
Welded new rocker panels
Welded frame horns up
Welded frame horn to frame support
Fabricated a lower control arm brave
Fabricated a strut brace
Welded a brace between the LCA and strut brave
Welded a push bar on
Added fog lights a winch
Added a roof rack
Added 24" light bar
Added a spoiler (small one from a Taurus)
Added 185/55R13 to the front
Small rubber fender flares

I think thats about it, I'll post photos shortly to back up my claims for you guys.

M4tthewd
Matt

I also replaced

Lower control arms
Tie rod ends
Rotors
Rebuilt the calipers
Brand new rear drums, brakes, springs.
New axles
Swaybar link ends
Shocks ans struts were fine so I left them.
And I primed and painted everything I welded and then let it cure and applied a industrial rust proofer. Which may of been not needed as my oil pressure sender started to leak and coated everything in oil before I replaced it !

M4tthewd
Matt

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

M4tthewd
Matt

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: received_10211707685260295.jpeg (160.15 KB)

M4tthewd
Matt

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by M4tthewd, May 20 2018, 11:01 AM.

M4tthewd
Matt

Trying to get photos on here is apparently difficult for me lol which is why ive held off so far.

ZXTjato
Member Avatar
bass heads

Off road metros are quite capable in the right hands. My off road metro has skid plates all the way down the body. Remember if you can't get up something forwards....go backwards. There are a few videos on my Scarface project of me going up this loose gravel hill backwards because of the traction issues.

Part 1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P_R110vAr3s

Part 2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ejcSVT0MIvA
Edited by ZXTjato, May 20 2018, 11:41 AM.

M4tthewd
Matt

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

M4tthewd
Matt

Posted ImagePosted Image

Side mirrors from a dodge Durango because the stock mirrors are stupid small. Haha definitely no blind spots now.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

M4tthewd
Matt

All this work and probably couldnt like the car less lol

Turbofly
Member Avatar
Todd Stambuski
[ *  * ]
Lol looking very nice, i love it. I did something similar with my 94, cut 4 inches out of the wheel wells and put 27 inch quad tires on stock firefly 12"wheels, it was unstoppable till a drainage ditch came out of no where and ripped both front frame horns off, wear a seat belt or you end up with a face full of glass lmao
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_3551.jpg (183.18 KB)

M4tthewd
Matt

Turbofly
May 20 2018, 01:30 PM
Lol looking very nice, i love it. I did something similar with my 94, cut 4 inches out of the wheel wells and put 27 inch quad tires on stock firefly 12"wheels, it was unstoppable till a drainage ditch came out of no where and ripped both front frame horns off, wear a seat belt or you end up with a face full of glass lmao
Did you still drive it on the road?? Looks sick!

M4tthewd
Matt

Whats a good sound proofing material? Driving this car is as loud as my motorcycle lol ive done some crazy stuff in the past and noticed barely any improvement.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Project Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply