Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
auxiliary cigarette lighters; auxiliary cigarette lighters
Topic Started: May 16 2018, 07:50 AM (166 Views)
ecojoy
[ *  * ]
Hi,
Wondering if you have a moment to share your advice on the best location for connecting a new auxiliary cigarette lighter set. This system has 3 sockets which I plan to use for auxiliary fans, and a portable rectifier-gonna pull some amps (up to 15). Its got its own fuse system, so I could hook into a line that comes before the fuse box.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

David
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

I would connect to the ignition relay, or hot side of the accessories circuit, unless you want full time power... then you would have to go straighy to the battery or wires from it..
you could mount the thing under the ashtray/cupholder or along side the center console.
Edited by MR1 Kingsbury, May 16 2018, 11:35 AM.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Make sure you run wires big enough to support your load.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Iconn
Member Avatar
ICONN

I simply bought one of those plug in y out adaptors that has 2 usb chargers in it. I use goop and glue it onto the console on the passenger side. I know not very sophisticated but it works and is quite convenient.

ecojoy
[ *  * ]
Great Idea Mr1 Kingsbury. Might you have a picture of where that hot side of the accessory circuit is?

ecojoy
[ *  * ]
Good point! will do Probably run a size 8

ecojoy
[ *  * ]
I will keep that in mind. Thank!

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Just my .02ยข... :type
The best place to hook up an amp loaded circuit would be on the main 60 amp fusible link in the main fuse box under the hood...
Install an eyelet on the wire end and use the 10mm head bolt that's already there, feed the wire through the wire loom plug near the brake booster...
Since the amperage draw is not really known because the info of the fans and the rectifier is not posted, and if you really are only pulling 15 amps, then the alternative spot would be to install the wire onto the "Fog Lights" circuit in the junction box under the left side of the dash and install a 20 amp fuse,
As for the best place for mounting would depend on where your going to mount the fans and such...
But, under the glove box near the center console, or possibly mounted on the back of the parking brake cover might work...
Would also suggest getting an amp and volt gauge to keep an eye on your charging system...
You could mount it near your dimmer switch on the left side of the steering column...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075TZ81BG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B075TZ81BG&pd_rd_wg=fqw5p&pd_rd_r=70SKXHVVDYVGPE59BQ54&pd_rd_w=zx1em

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hotrodray1
Member Avatar
Over Educated parts guy

I put one of those with 3 receptitcals on my sidekick and I hooked it up to the battery. With in line fuse 30 amp. Work awesome.
Edited by Hotrodray1, May 18 2018, 06:01 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply