Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Highest Best MPG in a Automatic; Anybody know the car the gets the best MPG with an automatic honda toyota ford don't want a hybrid or EV just gasoline
Topic Started: Jun 4 2018, 12:14 AM (427 Views)
nwgeo

Looking for an automatic that gets the best MPG don't care if an older car.

I assume like a 90s something civic or corolla or festiva with an automatic would pull the best MPG.

Better than a Geo automatic, assume the geo automatic gets around 30 MPG?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

evmetro

Don't forget that there are 3 cyl auto metros up to 1994, and the 4 cyl auto metros from 95 up. If you are considering the metro, you would be looking at 94 and down 3/3 models.

I'm not sure if the Hondas or toyotas do any better. If I had to drive an auto though, I'd probably look at Hondas and toyotas, since auto metros don't really count as real metros.

nwgeo

Yeah, I know the Geo metro has an automatic but I understand it is only a 3 speed

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Drove a Cadillac sedan with a V8-6-4 on the highway once from Toronto to Niagara Falls. it got up over 45 mpg in cruise control mode on a perfectly flat stretch of road while lugging in OD.

nwgeo

Yeah I had a 81 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ceara trip from Portland Or to Courdelane Idaho V6 carb got 31 MPG cruise on all the way. Some hills mostly flat.

So must be a small car with an automatic that gets like 35 to 40 MPG?
Edited by nwgeo, Jun 4 2018, 01:30 AM.

Stubby79
Member Avatar

I'm liking my automatic Echo hatchback. Rated at 36 on the highway. I'm getting 33 in short-trip mixed driving. But the sedans are ugly; if that's a problem, consider the Yaris instead...it's the next gen of the same thing.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nwgeo

I would think the Geo Metro auto would get at least 30 MPG maybe 35?

freegeo
Member Avatar

nwgeo
Jun 4 2018, 09:07 AM
I would think the Geo Metro auto would get at least 30 MPG maybe 35?
My brother when he was driving his 97 4 cylinder auto metro, got 35 to 38 mpg.

geogonfa
Member Avatar

I drove a '14 Nissan Cube with an auto for a month and consistently got 35 mpg even at the 70-80 mph range, surprisingly comfortable ride... :type

PTA2PTB
Member Avatar
I'm totally awesome! I swear.

What about a new(er) Mirage, with a CVT?

mjspiess
Member Avatar

http://geometroforum.com/topic/4657811/1/?x=0#post603498

nwgeo

Yeah I think the Mirage CVT is the way to go in an automatic...

Now if I can find an abused 2014(1st year of CVT?)one for under say $1500.

Mirage 1.2L fuel economy
City / Highway / Combined
CVT: 37 / 44 / 40 mpg (US)
5-speed manual: 34 / 42 / 37 mpg (US)

nwgeo

Thanks for the link Mjsp, Looks like Lafter with a little adjustment could get maybe a little over 40 MPG with the Geo auto, and that was average for a tank... be nice to know if he did any hyper driving with going to neutral or turning off the car to get over 40 with the automatic.

Not really worth paying the extra for a newer car if I can get the same or almost the same MPG with a older Geo.

Metromightymouse
Member Avatar
Powdercoat Wizard

I got basically the same mileage out of my 95 3/5 hatch and my 95 4/5 sedan. Auto ought to do fine as long as you're not running top speed on the freeway.
Edited by Metromightymouse, Jun 4 2018, 02:17 PM.

nwgeo

Thanks all, great feedback for thought :thumb

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fuel Economy/Performance · Next Topic »
Add Reply