Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
93 making noise from front drivers side while turning that direction
Topic Started: Jun 13 2018, 07:22 AM (96 Views)
Cerokoss
Member Avatar
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Hello. This is my first post but I couldn't seem to find a good answer for my problem. I have recently changed the front bearings and made sure they the wheel stud was torqued correctly. The pads seems to be in good shape. Rotor has no abnormal wear.

While I turn left it makes a thumping noise. Sounds like something is contacting the rotor. I pull over and stop and check the rotors. The driver side(where the noise is coming from) is very hot. The passenger side is barely warm.

I had originally thought CV axle based on the noise. I have not replaced the CV axle but I want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. My wife hates me buying parts and being wrong then buying more parts. So some direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

freegeo
Member Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

What did you torque the axle stake nut to after replacing the bearings?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

geogonfa
Member Avatar

First...
Welcome to the Fun... :greet

Just a little bit more info is needed...
Is this a XFi, LSi, or Base...Vert, Hatch, or a four door...
Now the first thing on my list to figure out would be why one side is warmer than the other...
Brakes dragging?
Dust shield making contact?
Do you feel anything in the steering wheel or the floor when it does the thumping?
Did you replace the bearings or did someone else?
Did you make sure the bearings had grease in them?

Cerokoss
Member Avatar
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
geogonfa
Jun 13 2018, 08:08 AM
First...
Welcome to the Fun... :greet

Just a little bit more info is needed...
Is this a XFi, LSi, or Base...Vert, Hatch, or a four door...
Now the first thing on my list to figure out would be why one side is warmer than the other...
Brakes dragging?
Dust shield making contact?
Do you feel anything in the steering wheel or the floor when it does the thumping?
Did you replace the bearings or did someone else?
Did you make sure the bearings had grease in them?

It is a base. Two door hatch.

I don't recall even seeing a dust shield when I changed the bearings. But Yes I was the one who changed them. Made sure they were packed with grease when I replaced them.

I've done the back bearings and they seem to have no issue.

I was thinking maybe brakes but like I said i don't see any wear that seems suspect.

When the noise starts to occur I feel it near my feet and in the wheel. So it's substantial. It occasionally happens while driving straight down the road but predominately makes the noise when turning left. It made the noise which led me to a quick bearing replacement but seems to have done little to remedy it.

Cerokoss
Member Avatar
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
freegeo
Jun 13 2018, 08:00 AM
Welcome to the forum!

What did you torque the axle stake nut to after replacing the bearings?
I want to say I torqued them somewhere around 120 but I can't be sure as I don't have my manual in front of me. That just seems to be a number coming to mind. It has been a few weeks :P. I could give you a better answer after I get home from work.

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Usually only 2 things make a wheel become hot, one is a brake caliper sticking/dragging or a bad axle bearing...
It is possible to get a bad new bearing...

Cerokoss
Member Avatar
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
geogonfa
Jun 13 2018, 08:42 AM
Usually only 2 things make a wheel become hot, one is a brake caliper sticking/dragging or a bad axle bearing...
It is possible to get a bad new bearing...
That is fair. I will probably change the pads while I'm doing the rear. Just to rule that out. Any way to determine if the caliper itself is the issue?

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

the caliper should float freely over the rotor unless the guide pins are corroded.

if the rotor feels too hot after driving, but the rotor turns freely with the wheel/tire jacked up off the ground, then I would suspect you have a damaged wheel bearing or spacer (part 10), or have improperly installed or forgot to put in the bevelled outer spacer (part 9)

look at this picture posted by member pancakeron

Posted Image
Edited by suzukitom, Jun 13 2018, 01:43 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tires/Wheels/Bearings/Brakes · Next Topic »
Add Reply