Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Differences over time; Engine and car related
Topic Started: Jun 13 2018, 10:00 AM (308 Views)
freegeo
Member Avatar

There were changes to the metros over the years that we sometimes aren't aware of or forget about over time. A couple I can think of recently were a throttle body gasket difference on a 93 metro 1.0 (there was a change made during the 93 model year) which when the wrong one was used it created a vacuum leak and the other was a gasket change for the oil pump. One hole is a circle and the other a oval. Using the wrong one can lead to a leak.

I am working on gathering information about other changes and looking for suggestions from other members of things that they have came across or remember.

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

92blumetro
jack of all trades, master of two

wiring harness clip changes- earlier harness/ sensors use a metal retaining clip, later models a simple plastic push tab on harness/ sensors.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

freegeo
Member Avatar

92blumetro
Jun 13 2018, 10:27 AM
wiring harness clip changes- earlier harness/ sensors use a metal retaining clip, later models a simple plastic push tab on harness/ sensors.
Thank you for the post.

It will take some time to put something together, but I want to do like a PDF with examples of all the things we come up with.

freegeo
Member Avatar

One thing I came across today, thanks to another member asking about something, is the thermostat housing and thermostat. sphenicie did a thread about it about 5 years ago.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5087079/1/#new

Metbob

Free don’t forget about that 10 page post you had on the ISC, and adjusting your TPS for your 97. I’m not sure if it was a misprint on the feeler gauge thickness in the FSM or not. It remember, Triple Threat said it should be 0.14 not 0.014 for the idle stop. I just finished reading all of it last night. I adjusted mine last night that and have my idle back.

Metbob

OH and yes my grounds were clean ^o)

freegeo
Member Avatar

Metbob
Jun 13 2018, 03:46 PM
Free don’t forget about that 10 page post you had on the ISC, and adjusting your TPS for your 97. I’m not sure if it was a misprint on the feeler gauge thickness in the FSM or not. It remember, Triple Threat said it should be 0.14 not 0.014 for the idle stop. I just finished reading all of it last night. I adjusted mine last night that and have my idle back.
Thank for the suggestion. That is one thing that changed. IAC to ISC.

That is a good idea about putting some details about adjustment or normal readings along with it.

sser2
sser2

There were several timing gear changes. 89-93 square teeth narrow belt; 94-95 round teeth narrow belt; 96-00 round teeth wide belt. Sprockets, tensioner, and timing cover changed accordingly.

Charcoal canisters were different in 89-94, 95-97, and 98-00. In 99-00, canister was moved from firewall to the top of gas tank.

From 96 on, they started using different (though interchangeable) valve lifters.

Distributors were different in 89-91, 92-95, and 96-00.

Oil pump was changed in 96 to accommodate crank sensor.

freegeo
Member Avatar

sser2
Jun 13 2018, 04:15 PM
There were several timing gear changes. 89-93 square teeth narrow belt; 94-95 round teeth narrow belt; 96-00 round teeth wide belt. Sprockets, tensioner, and timing cover changed accordingly.

Charcoal canisters were different in 89-94, 95-97, and 98-00. In 99-00, canister was moved from firewall to the top of gas tank.

From 96 on, they started using different (though interchangeable) valve lifters.

Distributors were different in 89-91, 92-95, and 96-00.

Oil pump was changed in 96 to accommodate crank sensor.

Thank you. That is the details I'm looking for.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Forward rear wheel well sheet metal design in 3 door hatchbacks changed to a double walled, no drain design in 1995 greatly accelerating rust from inside out vs. single walled wheel well design 89-94.

Door jamb light switches eliminated (but wiring in place) for all doors except on driver side doors for many 98-01 Metros, due to de-contenting campaign by Suzuki?

Changes in paint method/chemistry around 1997? especially noticeable in red color cars, with peeling clear coat issues replacing a chalking/fading problem. Probably needs a GMF poll to pinpoint the transition year.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Pontiac Firefly 3 and 4 door hatchback, Pontiac Firefly convertible, and Pontiac Firefly Turbo, and Firefly sedan cars were sold only in Canada through year 2000. Only the Chevy Metro sedan was still sold in 2001. The Pontiac branding differences were mostly badging and color differences, as well as body color bumper covers to reflect Pontiac's slightly upmarket status from Chevy. Too bad the trademark Pontiac nose/beak was never used, or plastic body cladding to help conceal lower body rust.

freegeo
Member Avatar

Thank you for the info Tom.

Moringa
Member Avatar
Living BOT

How about the first internal engine difference, starting in 98 I think. Different pistons, and compression ring thickness.

freegeo
Member Avatar

Moringa
Jun 13 2018, 06:25 PM
How about the first internal engine difference, starting in 98 I think. Different pistons, and compression ring thickness.
That was true also, I'm pretty sure your correct it was 98 the the piston and ring thickness changed.

geogonfa
Member Avatar

How about the IAT sensor...'89-'94 were screw in and '95 and later 1.0's were just pushed into a rubber grommet. Though the lower air box was the same...

The snorkel for the air filter box was also changed for the TBI's;
The early models were sealed...
The later models had a air "muffler" that went to the bottom of the snorkel that was bolted to the timing cover...

One other one that I recall, The shift lever bellcrank on the '89-91 5spds. were stamped metal...'92+ are cast iron...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply