Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ignition system
Topic Started: Jun 18 2018, 01:49 PM (519 Views)
tecoma
[ *  * ]
hi i have a 92 geo metro 1.1 that won't start. engine isn't getting spark. new plugs n wires and also replaced the "pick-up coil" inside the distributor and still no spark. ignition coil isn't sending spark to distributor either, which makes me think computer isn't getting the download of the position of the motor. is this sensor inside the distributor a hall effect sensor?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

freegeo
Member Avatar

Do you have a way to check the out put voltage from the distributor? When you put a new pick up coil I but did you set the gap?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

geogonfa
Member Avatar

First...
Welcome to the Fun... :greet
Next question, do you have a Factory service manual?...

Is this a new to you Metro or you have been driving it awhile?
Have you checked the grounds?
The one at the distributor base, and the ones at the back of the intake manifold?

tecoma
[ *  * ]
I don't have a factory manual -- i have a haynes manual.

the car i bought and had for a few months and took it on a long trip and drove it down the coast and it did great. then i took it down into mexico about 3 hours and the car broke down once we were going on a dirt road for a bit. we had a mechanic come along, (no english), stuck a voltmeter on it and pointed to the pick up coil inside the distributor. we went back up to the states and got a new one and brought it back down to the geo. they installed the new pick up coil and the car still didn't run. they they hooked up a ground from one of the pick up coil wires, pretty sure the white wire which goes into the ecm as "ignition ref in" and magically the geo started running. we drove it back to the states, albeit running pretty shitty - died upon idle and occasional misfires. it's been sitting for a while here since then, but i replaced the plugs and the wires and took the timing belt off - adjusted it one tooth and it ran a little better. the wires coming out of the distributor with this new ground were real loose so we took the ground off and put a new connector in there. since then the engine hasn't gotten spark.

i've checked the grounds yes and it has at least 3 solid good ones. the pick up coil reads around 200 ohms resistance, but its not reading any voltage when we spin it but maybe we gotta figure out a rig to spin it faster than with our hands....

air gap in this haynes book says .2mm to .4 mm, and the actual gap looks pretty fuckin close so don't think thats the issue....

thanks for help!

freegeo
Member Avatar

There is a 94 fsm here in the forum. If you want a searchable PDF version, pm your email address and I can send you a copy of it.

You need to check and see if the distributor is outputting voltage while installed and the engine is cranking.

tecoma
[ *  * ]
ok yes, the distributor is outputting voltage when i crank the engine.

freegeo
Member Avatar

Since you have a 94, do you know if you have upgraded emissions or standard?

I will have to look at the wiring diagrams to see how to check the primary and secondary ignition

Do you have a test light?

freegeo
Member Avatar

Click on the link. Check out page 18. Cranks but no start

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByZnrvyffe1KV3NMSTh1SGZSSXM/edit

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Good place to start:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByZnrvyffe1KV3NMSTh1SGZSSXM/edit

tecoma
[ *  * ]
i have a 92, not a 94.

yes i have a test light. no spark to any cylinder when cranking. no spark from ignition coil while cranking. ignition coil has proper primary and secondary resistances according to haynes specs though

tecoma
[ *  * ]
there are also no diagnostic codes being stored in the ecm.

freegeo
Member Avatar

Sorry, was thinking of someone else's car.
Let me look after work.

freegeo
Member Avatar

Is the ignition fuse good and do you have power to the coil on the black/white wire?

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 001.jpg (45.47 KB)
Edited by freegeo, Jun 19 2018, 12:21 AM.

tecoma
[ *  * ]
I'm reading 12 volts on black and white ignition coil wire from fuse. I can't find fuse (listed as 20 but I only see 15 andn30s) but this should mean fuse is fine right ? According to the flow charts in the service manual, I should also be reading 12v on brown wire from ecm to coil but I'm reading 1.5v . Should I replace coil?
I'm still thinking the issue is in em or wiring. I'm going to pull the computer later today and test ignition signal going out to coil as well as signals coming in from camshaft position sensor. Any tips on getting computer our? Do I need to pull dash?
Also according to flow chaets, possibly the coil isn't getting the signal from ecm from a faulty noise suppression filter that it fun through. Where is that?

freegeo
Member Avatar

If you have voltage to the coil then the fuse is good.

I would have to see the rest of the wiring diagram to tell you what out put the ecm gives to initiate spark.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply