Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Death Then Coming Back To Life; No response when turning the key in the ignition then 4 hours later car starts with a little more effort
Topic Started: Jun 24 2018, 10:43 PM (169 Views)
1993bluegeo
Geo Metro Boomin
[ *  * ]
I have a 1992 geo metro. I do all the work on my car myself and recently I replaced the fuel filter, battery and alternator. Everything was fine with my car for about a week after replacing the alternator. Then today on my lunch break I drove to the nearby grocery store to pick up some food, no symptoms of anything wrong with my car. Then when I come back out to my car it is completely dead. No lights, it doesn't crank or anything. So I go back to work. When I come back to it four hours later, first turn of the key the interior lights flash on and off and nothing happens, then when I turn the key and hold it a little bit the car starts up. I have two 12" subs in my geo if that is any useful info. My questions are could someone post a diagram of my cars electrical system and also list all the possible reasons something like this could happen? I checked the battery connections so I don't think any of those are the issue. I would prefer a diagram and list of possible electrical issues since this might be a pain in the ass to figure out since I've replaced the alternator twice and still have some sort of issue.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

freegeo
Member Avatar

I would start with the battery and fuse box wires and connections 1st.

I can probably post some wiring diagrams tomorrow morning.

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

freegeo
Member Avatar

Posted Image

1993bluegeo
Geo Metro Boomin
[ *  * ]
freegeo
Jun 24 2018, 11:37 PM
Posted Image
Any chance you could take a clearer picture or someone could enhance the photo and resend it? I can't read any of the words on there... not sure if my eyesight is deteriorating or the quality is legitimately bad.

freegeo
Member Avatar

1993bluegeo
Jun 25 2018, 04:40 AM
freegeo
Jun 24 2018, 11:37 PM
Posted Image
Any chance you could take a clearer picture or someone could enhance the photo and resend it? I can't read any of the words on there... not sure if my eyesight is deteriorating or the quality is legitimately bad.
It is not your eye sight, it is the quality. I will see what I can do to make it easier to read.

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Just my .02¢... :type
Most times It is just the battery terminals and/or the battery connections...
Clean them really good both the clamps and the posts
If they are the originals and they have to be tightened all the way by bottoming out the bolts it might be time to replace them...
Check the wires at the post clamps to make sure they are clean and not corroded...
Check the ground wires from the battery to make sure they are clean and tight...

1993bluegeo
Geo Metro Boomin
[ *  * ]
geogonfa
Jun 25 2018, 07:35 AM
Just my .02¢... :type
Most times It is just the battery terminals and/or the battery connections...
Clean them really good both the clamps and the posts
If they are the originals and they have to be tightened all the way by bottoming out the bolts it might be time to replace them...
Check the wires at the post clamps to make sure they are clean and not corroded...
Check the ground wires from the battery to make sure they are clean and tight...
Thanks, seems easy enough I'll take care of that a report back if the problem still persists after I change the clamps. They are the originals.

Foster
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
You should check your alternator connections too, make sure all is tight. Also check behind the intake manifold, between the firewall & the manifold, there are usually 1 or 2 ground wire connections. they might be loose and can cause intermittent problems with the car starting or even dying while you are driving.

Richard123vmt

My 92 which is on non-op did the very same today. (I was trying to start it on a periodic basis.) The trouble was corrosion under the fuse box in the engine compartment on the left fender. Remove the overflow reservoir and remove the two screws holding the fuse box and turn it over and clean all corrosion. Of course, you disconnect the battery ground first. If you find the smaller wire coming from the positive terminal of the battery and follow it to the fuse box, wiggling it alone will probably get it to work temporarily. If you value your new alternator, you must clean every connection in the charging/starting system. Learn how to a do a voltage drop measurement once you get it started.
Edited by Richard123vmt, Jul 10 2018, 04:18 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply