Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
clunk in rear suspension
Topic Started: Jun 28 2018, 02:25 PM (277 Views)
Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
It seems to have gotten a little worse nowdays. every time in a sharp corner when the rear moves in or out you hear a clunk or click. the same happens very often when getting out of the car but only rarely when getting in.
here are some videos i try to make. https://streamable.com/cu9p0 https://streamable.com/68yql

What could it be and is it urgent fix or not?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

freegeo
Member Avatar

Do you have a sway bar and are the mounts rusted?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

sounds like side to side play on a wheel bearing. See if the noise changes or goes away if you engage the parking brake.

Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
thanks.

I tested with e brake and still does the sound. Didnt see a swaybar on the rear. Also doesnt make the noise when i tug on the wheel side to side. only when i lift the car from the wheel arch.
I will lift the rear and check the bearing soon.
Edited by Swift-guy, Jun 28 2018, 04:31 PM.

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Just my .02ยข...
Check the strut tower bushing...
Edited by geogonfa, Jun 28 2018, 04:38 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Checked the top bushing, cant see or feel any movement in there when i move the car. the wheel bearings also have no play or sound and they both spin for minutes if you turn the wheel.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Try to isolate the side the noise its coming from by lifting just one wheel off the ground and repeating your jounce test.

Is the exhaust pipe hitting a coil spring, or is there is anything loose shifting around in the spare tire? Does opening and leaving the hatch door open make a difference?

Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Im really kind of puzzled what it can be. i dont see or feel anything loose. and as for pulling it up even a very light pull is enough to make it sound. less than half an inch of movement is more than enough. No exhaust touching either. :hmm

handling is not affected eighter and there is nothing loose in the spare tire area.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

keep looking. I had an Opel years ago with a rattle i could not find. I finally took it to a dealer and 2 mechanics took it out over a bumpy road with one in guy riding inside the trunk. it turned out to be a worn bushing that was tight at rest and only rattled in a certain position.

wahoospa
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://geometroforum.com/topic/8202703/1/ and under 'Brake fluid change to DOT4', in the picture of the brake drum isn't the bearing seal supposed to be towards the outside?

Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I have no clue honestly. its how i got the car.
Ill be driving the car some more with the radio off and fold the seats flat.

LesCrapp
Member Avatar
Legend

LoL had the same prob. on my 2000 it was the lower spring perch on the control arm the spring scrub against the surface rust I cut a piece of innertube to go between the offending parts "tah dah" three years later still no "clunk"...

Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
LesCrapp
Jul 1 2018, 10:27 PM
LoL had the same prob. on my 2000 it was the lower spring perch on the control arm the spring scrub against the surface rust I cut a piece of innertube to go between the offending parts "tah dah" three years later still no "clunk"...
Yep. Put some wd40 onto the lower part of the spring and no more clunk. Only now it scrapes. Well at least i know where the sound comes from. :lol
On video https://streamable.com/jscg3

Put wd40 on both sides and one test drive later the noise is gone. no scrape noise as well.
Edited by Swift-guy, Jul 2 2018, 06:51 AM.

Woodie
Member Avatar

Swift-guy
Jul 2 2018, 05:46 AM
LesCrapp
Jul 1 2018, 10:27 PM
Yep. Put some wd40 onto the lower part of the spring and no more clunk. Only now it scrapes. Well at least i know where the sound comes from. :lol
On video https://streamable.com/jscg3

Put wd40 on both sides and one test drive later the noise is gone. no scrape noise as well.
Well done LesCrapp, you win this round.

Swift-guy: You're going to need something more substantial on there, WD-40 is NOT oil and is designed to mix with water. It'll be gone in a week.

Edited by Woodie, Jul 3 2018, 05:10 AM.

Swift-guy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Yep i know that. I will put some waterproof grease on it when I get to replacing the tires in the future.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Suspension/Steering/Alignment · Next Topic »
Add Reply