Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interested in running a manual transmission....backwards...
Topic Started: Jul 2 2018, 01:59 PM (103 Views)
makenzie71
[ *  *  * ]
I'm planning a ground up buggy and I want to use the 5-speed from an early 90's metro (because I have it)...I'm going to be running it off a high displacement metric cruiser engine. The engine I'm currently eyeballing is a 1400cc Intruder engine. The problem I've got is that the output spins the wrong way. I'm wanting to turn the transmission around, but doing this will have everything running backward.

Just curious if anyone sees any problem with this arrangement.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JellyBeanDriver

I can't remember if it's the metro or another manual transmission I repaired (pretty sure it was the Metro) but there is a oil catch 'funnel' inside that catches oil slung off the gears and funnels it into the hole drilled through one of the shafts to feed needle bearings. Not sure if it will work the same way if the transmission is spun in the other direction.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

Go to the bone yard and see other transaxles. There will be something that spins the direction you want. To make the stock one spin the opposite direction, add on idler gear, and the thing will spin the other direction. Not sure where you would put it though. Just because you have it does not mean its the right one for this project.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Tech and Tool Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply