Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stock wheel weight
Topic Started: Jul 9 2018, 05:26 AM (205 Views)
HammerDown
[ *  *  * ]
What is the weight of a stock wheel off a 1998 3/5? Just curious if some lightweight aftermarket wheels may improve fuel economy/acceleration?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

WiscoMetro
Member Avatar
Seeking the Science of MPG

As reported by 1DCGUY about a year ago the 13" steelies weight is 14.1 lbs
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

HammerDown
[ *  *  * ]
Probably can't get much lighter than that

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Getting something like this helps...
https://www.ebay.com/i/192589305558?chn=ps

PTA2PTB
Member Avatar
I'm totally awesome! I swear.

WiscoMetro
Jul 9 2018, 11:28 AM
As reported by 1DCGUY about a year ago the 13" steelies weight is 14.1 lbs

HammerDown
Jul 9 2018, 10:17 PM
Probably can't get much lighter than that

Made of steel, probably not. Made of aluminum, most definitely. I have a set that I'm getting ready to throw on my car, that were originally off a Honda Civic VX, that weigh in at a portly 9.4 lbs each.

Recently, I've been hearing that the stock 14" alum wheels off a Gen 1 Honda Insight, weigh in only slightly more than that, by about lb, allegedly. If that's actually true, that, would be a very good alternative for some people; particularly, ones that wish to go up to 14" sized tire. Also, they're a bit more aerodynamic than my, "spoked" design, VX wheels.

HammerDown
[ *  *  * ]
That is considerable. What width and offset, bore size etc am I looking for?

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Good info here; :type

http://geometroforum.com/topic/701184/1/

PTA2PTB
Member Avatar
I'm totally awesome! I swear.

HammerDown
Jul 10 2018, 06:29 AM
That is considerable. What width and offset, bore size etc am I looking for?
One caveat to attempting to use either of the aforementioned Honda wheels, if you were even considering it, is that the the wheel pattern holes, as well as the hubcentric center hole, are different spec's than for a Metro. You either have to have them re-drilled, or use wheel spacer adapters. The adapters aren't that expensive, about $58 for a set of 4, but they they push the wheels out from the car by an inch, and they add back about 1 lb of the weight that you were trying to save in the first place.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

the factory aluminum 7 spoke 14" x 5.5 j wheels are the lightest direct fit wheels i have found. the only problem is that they are pretty rare and a set of 4 will run upwards of $400. 185 14 60 tire carcasses weigh more than the rims by a good bit.

aluminum wheels are the way to go on a mk4/5 metro. ;)

Murf 59
Member Avatar

I weighed a steel 14 with a 195/70/14 tire. It came in at a whopping 34 lbs.

solerpower
Member Avatar

Murf 59
Jul 13 2018, 11:15 AM
I bet the tire is 20lbs of that 34lbs, and the wheel is 14lbs. My tire wheel combination with 195 50 15 weigh 30.1 with the tire being 20.1 lbs. I bet the 70's are a lot softer to ride on; not as many jarring bumps.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

solerpower
Jul 14 2018, 09:19 AM
Murf 59
Jul 13 2018, 11:15 AM
I bet the tire is 20lbs of that 34lbs, and the wheel is 14lbs. My tire wheel combination with 195 50 15 weigh 30.1 with the tire being 20.1 lbs. I bet the 70's are a lot softer to ride on; not as many jarring bumps.
Yeah it will probably ride really well. Maybe I will install them in the fall.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tires/Wheels/Bearings/Brakes · Next Topic »
Add Reply