Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Revival and continuation of 2015 metro alternator bike post
Topic Started: Jul 12 2018, 05:37 AM (115 Views)
geopanda2
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
http://geometroforum.com/topic/5880515/1/

So back a couple years ago i had the idea i was going to make a geo metro bike generator to charge a 12v battery / battery bank / small inverter. Yes i know very well and expect very little power from it. Ive set the gearing and diameters of pulleys to reach proper rpms for charging. But now need a little guidance on the tabs in the back of the alternator. I believe one tab is for ignition on and would recieve 12v via an on off switch so i could turn it on once i get it to speed. I believe one tab is for lamp ground and am not sure what to do with it. I hear the 3rd tab may or not be a dummy tab or ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also would this be how i wire said device?

Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

geopanda2
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
So after some testing top left is ignition, top right is lamp and bottom is ground, i got it to work set up on a workbench but hooked up to the bike it did not work : (

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

Maybe because you're turning it backwards from what it turns on a Metro.

Ken.....

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

Good Eye, Ken... I think that'd be backwards for almost all alternators on vehicles today. Most all starters also turn clockwise as viewed from the business end.
Edited by MR1 Kingsbury, Jul 12 2018, 09:21 PM.

David95237

It doesn't make any difference what way an alternator turns. Probably going to slow.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

geopanda2
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
:0 something i did not think about , off the bike it was spinning clockwise and on the bike its mounted to spin counterclockwise. I figured spinning was spinning but perhaps not.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply