Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Does your metro have carpet?; Thinking of leaving mine out.
Topic Started: Jul 12 2018, 05:22 PM (183 Views)
jellis1793
[ *  * ]
Still working on getting the time and money to get one of my metros ready for my daily commute. I pulled out the carpet and pressure washed it and got loads of nasty grime out. But I was thinking, why put it back in? I know it will be louder in the car. But how much? I'm a machinist so no matter how hard I try I track metal chips into my car. And carpet just clings on to it all. Any thoughts or experience with no carpet would be appreciated.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

freegeo
Member Avatar

You will get more road noise and it will be a little louder.

It would make it easier to vacuum out the shavings.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mythstae
Member Avatar

I have wondered if one could take an OEM carpet, clean it vigorously, and then saturate the (dry!) carpet fibers with snowfish's favorite; Herculiner.
If you got enough in, would it be like the rubber carpeting some 4x4s have? :hmm

Murf 59
Member Avatar

Our little engine are loud. Ask Potter what its like living with a Metro with no interior? LOL He stripped out his Metro and drove it to Palooza last year from like Alabama or somewhere in the S. Miserable. My Dark Starr car is painful to be in when the engine hits about 6500 rpm.

Car Nut
Member Avatar

freegeo
Jul 12 2018, 06:08 PM

A little louder? :lol :lol :lol

nwgeo

Pass on a few cheese burgers loose a couple of lbs... and leave the carpet.

Noise.

freegeo
Member Avatar

Car Nut
Jul 12 2018, 06:24 PM
freegeo
Jul 12 2018, 06:08 PM

A little louder? :lol :lol :lol
Yeah,. I have hearing lose so it is only a little louder!

:D

jellis1793
[ *  * ]
nwgeo
Jul 12 2018, 07:11 PM

Noise.
Haha it's not cause the weight I'm thinking of leaving it out it's just carpet holds everything haha.
I've actually lost over70 lbs in the last year by counting callories. :rocker

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

jellis1793
Jul 12 2018, 07:28 PM
nwgeo
Jul 12 2018, 07:11 PM

Noise.
Haha it's not cause the weight I'm thinking of leaving it out it's just carpet holds everything haha.
I've actually lost over70 lbs in the last year by counting callories. :rocker
Congrats on the weight loss. That's awesome...

I would put the carpet back in and get some good quality rubber matting... Like what machinists stand on all day, and put that in it on the drivers floor...Use some smooth 4mm rubber cut to shape. Big enough that the chips cannot get to the carpet. Also buy some smooth sole shoes that don't collect as much chips.

Put a welcome mat by your parking space and wipe your shoes/chips before getting in?

Dystopiate666
Member Avatar
Tree Banger

I took mine out and it was incredibly loud. I felt the same about the old carpet, so I lined my interior with indoor/outdoor astro turf.....very easy to clean.

1993XFI

like every one said I would keep the carpet. Maybe get weathertech front floor mats. They come up on the sides higher than stock mats and you can take them out and clean.

sphenicie

Well, I hear ya man!
I am an Ironworker and during the winter my boots are ALWAYS wet and snowy. Then, the heater melts the snow, melted snow freezes over night. Oh, yea, I can hear yall now, "just knock off the snow"......doesn't work, it has frozen to your boots from the body heat. Further, it is a three times a day event. morning break, lunch, and at the end of the day.

Wet carpet just sucks and promotes rust, so the winter car has no carpet...……...but also has good tunes!

Dont like the 'noise' crank up the jams!

clen
Member Avatar
Buy 'Em Up! Now!

If you are ok with the road noise I say go for it.

I had cheap rubber carpets. But I also used herculiner under my car for a layer of protection, which also did some sound deadening. But not a lot.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

i like mythstae's idea. herculiner covered carpeting would give you a nearly impregnable rubberized mat for your floor. :thumb

man, your story about metal tailings takes me back about 45 years. :whistle

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply