Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Strut mount brands...
Topic Started: Aug 1 2018, 06:34 PM (85 Views)
Dirty_Dan
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
I'm replacing the all the stock struts on my 94 metro with kyb's and I purchased two of these strut mount rebuild kits off ebay. My front strut mounts also look cracked and worn so I was going to replace them. I found these relatively cheap mounts on amazon and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or other brands. The name brand ones like KYB and Monroe cost $30-50 each vs $15 for these, but I'm not sure if there's a big difference in quality.

Any help would be appreciated! :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

geogonfa
Member Avatar

First...
Welcome to the Fun... :greet

Now...
Just my .02ยข
These have worked well so far for the mount:
https://www.amazon.com/KYB-SM5188-Strut-Mount-Kit/dp/B000C44DIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533171227&sr=8-1&keywords=KYB+SM5188
These have worked for a replacement for the bearing assembly because it is one piece and sealed, but, the original lasted for years (the set you posted from bowens), so either way:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CUEBYH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

I have found that the KYB struts mounts work fine, some of the other cheaper brands I have used seem to crack/ tear prematurely. ;)

I try to keep a couple of the strut bearing kits from bbowens on hand for rebuilding struts.

Just a reminder, remember to use the big flat washer on the bottoms of the rear mounts.

Dirty_Dan
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Just wanted to say thanks for the help! I ended up ordering a set of kyb mounts. Last week I did the rear shocks and it went well, now I'm starting on the front struts.

Should be a big improvement!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Suspension/Steering/Alignment · Next Topic »
Add Reply