Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
AC Dryer replacement - when ????
Topic Started: Aug 8 2018, 11:12 AM (102 Views)
TheMadHungarian
[ *  * ]
Hi all,

I have a question for the great minds here...I recently purchased a 1995 Geo Metro 3door, manual, 3-cyl (1L).
Thankfully the AC blows cold air, and everything works fine.

But here's the question: does the AC dryer need to be replaced assuming it is still the original one? The desiccant material must be degraded by now - not sure.
It's a fairly cheap part - $10 at rockauto so why not....

So what's the overall guideline for this - if it works don't mess with it?

TMH
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Just my .02¢... :type
The time to change the receiver/drier is when the system has been opened because the desiccant material will soak up any moisture in the system,
very seldom does a receiver/drier come apart on it's own.
It usually fails because an open system was repaired without replacing the receiver/drier ...
As for preventive maintenance, not really an issue.
You stated the system works good so don't mess with it...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mrbreeze

I would also like to know this, last year I replaced the compressor and the reciever/dryer, but settled for a smaller one and I'am not satisfied with how my system is functioning, should I replace the new/smaller dryer with the old one and just pull a good vacuum? And then call it good?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JellyBeanDriver

Doubt that's your problem. Who did the work? Did they weigh in the charge?

Mrbreeze

I did, last year she worked awesome, this year, not so good... I did the work, but I've been sceptical of the #'s because of the smaller dryer, should I just reuse the old dryer?

JellyBeanDriver

Sounds like you have a slow leak. Anything wet with oil?

geeten
Member Avatar
Driving little, Flying little
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
geogonfa
Aug 8 2018, 12:15 PM
Just my .02¢... :type
The time to change the receiver/drier is when the system has been opened because the desiccant material will soak up any moisture in the system,
very seldom does a receiver/drier come apart on it's own.
It usually fails because an open system was repaired without replacing the receiver/drier ...
As for preventive maintenance, not really an issue.
You stated the system works good so don't mess with it...
I second this advice. It's not needed.

Dont run if you can walk, don't walk if you can sit, don't sit if you can lay down and if you can lay down take a nap.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Air Conditioning/Heating · Next Topic »
Add Reply