Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
what size speakers are in my metro??
Topic Started: Dec 9 2008, 07:05 PM (5,661 Views)
shanksyamaha
[ *  * ]
I was wondering if anyone knows what size speakers are in my metro, its a 93 xfi. When I got the car the antenna was broke off so I replaced that and now I can get channels but it sounds like all 4 speakers are blown, they all rattle and pop. I would like to replace all 4 speakers with a decent quality direct fit speaker that I can just bolt in and hook up. Can anyone tell me what size speakers are in my metro front and back so I can order the right size... My 95 metro had the front speakers in the doors but these are under the dash, kinda where your left knee would be on the drivers side and right knee on pass side.

I could take it apart and see for myself but I didnt want to start ripping into it until I got new speakers to put in so I could do it all at once.

thanks for the help!! :beer :rocker :type :hmm :hmm :thumb :cheers :cheers
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bon2000
Member Avatar

they are both 6 and a halfs but you will need a adapter to put them in,the mounts on the stock are bigger then the aftermarkets

shanksyamaha
[ *  * ]
I found some 6x6 speakers out of a 2001 but if these are 6.5 inch round then they probly wont fit. Are the speakers in the 95 and newer metros different?? And is this adaptor that I need something that I can buy or will I have to fab something to work??

metromad

Belay that faulty order! Unless I am mistaken, the '94 and earlier used a 4" speaker, stock. Your post talks of a '93 XFI so that would mean you probably have the 4" variety, unless replaced with something else by a PO. :thumb

Hacksaw
Member Avatar
Disciple of Johnny Mullet

The ones under your dash are 4 inch. I'm in the market to replace mine as well...

Hacksaw.

z34-5speed
Member Avatar
Formerly "Tech Certified"

I have seen some people put speakers in the doors. I've also seen them in the side of the car, behind the drivers seat? Does anyone know if there are factory locations for them there?

Kyle

shanksyamaha
[ *  * ]
Mine is definately a 93 and I doubt any have been replaced so Im guessing they are all stock. Im gunna see if I can get any decent replacement 4 inch speakers for under the dash. Anyone know if the ones in the back are 4 inch as well or are they larger?? I considered just putting in a speaker box in the back but I dont want any heavy loud speakers or subs or anything I just want to listen to the radio without it crackling and popping. I think If I could just get some decent replacement speakers that will fit I would be all set...

Bon2000
Member Avatar

<<<--------forgets about the older versions and is sorry

metromad

Bon2000
Dec 11 2008, 09:51 AM
<<<--------forgets about the older versions and is sorry

Not a problem, I sometimes forget things myself when trying to switch from my older metro to the newer ones! :D

Anyone know if the ones in the back are 4 inch as well or are they larger??

The rears are 4" as well. JC Whitney used to carry a 4", unknown quality though.

You can put a speaker behind that grill looking area in the back seat. I am unsure why that is there. A ventilation grill perhaps? My '93 had speakers installed there by PO and they worked pretty well.

You want to be careful installing speakers in the doors on these. They weren't designed for them so you have to get the slim design speakers and place them so they don't interfere, but can be done.
Edited by metromad, Dec 12 2008, 01:38 PM.

Will
Member Avatar
Victory is mine!!!!

There is always the Tennessee option. I took a set of speakers in good condition out of the back of a Buick (Buicks usually have nice systems) I pulled the wires out of the interior trim and wired them in. The speakers just sit in the corners of the back seat. I have enough slack to put them on the floor in the rare time that I have to haul something.

For a Metro it sounds really good!!!

shanksyamaha
[ *  * ]
Will
Dec 12 2008, 09:14 AM
(Buicks usually have nice systems)
I agree 100% with that. I have a 2001 buick century limited edition that came from the factory with a 300 watt monsoon amp bolted in the trunk. The speakers in the rear are so large they take up most of the rear deck space. That car has the best sounding factory system I have ever heard. When Im inside and my wife pulls in I can sometimes hear the base thumping in the house.

Anyway I found 2 4 inch speakers for the front. I would like to find two more for the rear now and maybe another two for the rear tailgate.

So the ones in the back are also 4 inch then right??

metromad

Correct, same as the front 2.

gary-ann
Scary Gary
[ *  * ]
All four speakers In my 94 metro were dry rotted beyond any chance of hearing anything more than something that sounded like signals from Mars. They are all four inch. Advance auto parts had a perfect fit replacement for 10 bucks each that worked fine. ^o)

BiggJames

lightning audio sells 4inch at walmart they fit perfect and are only 24 bucks!

PushnFords

The speakers in my '91 are all shot as well. I haven't replaced them yet but I would recommend a high quality name brand replacement. I was looking at some Pioneer 200+ watt models on eBay for around $40 shipped. I've tried different brands of cheap 4" speakers in the old Tercel I used to drive. They would sound ok around town and maybe with the windows up but if you wanted to hear some good rock music with the windows down going 60+mph it was hopeless. Might not be everyone's preference but if I get the chance to run with my arm on the window sill I do.

Derek

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply